Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everybody, new Subie guy here. Recently bought a brand new Outback and love it, all but the seatbelt beeper. The thing is pretty obnoxious, starts beeping just as soon as you start the car.

Up here in alaska we occasionally start up and let warm up, so as soon as I get in I get the damn beeper, also sometimes if I'm just driving down to the corner store I don't necessarily feel the need to buckle up.

Is there any easy way to turn the thing off?

Yep. Turn key to on position without starting car and then buckle and unbuckle the driver side seatbelt about 15 times quickly within a minute or less. Just do it as quickly as possible. Now turn the key to the off position and remove key. Next time and each time thereafter, the chime should sound 5 times and then stop. It worked first time for me but others had touble initially. If you have problems, use the search function on this site on the topic.

Hey everybody, new Subie guy here. Recently bought a brand new Outback and love it, all but the seatbelt beeper. The thing is pretty obnoxious, starts beeping just as soon as you start the car.

Up here in alaska we occasionally start up and let warm up, so as soon as I get in I get the damn beeper, also sometimes if I'm just driving down to the corner store I don't necessarily feel the need to buckle up.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Is there any easy way to turn the thing off?

On my Impreza there was a little white box just above the drivers left knee under the dash board. It could be umpluged and it didn't affect anything else. What I did is i let the bell go on and went under the dash until i found it and then unpluged it.

Yep. Turn key to on position without starting car and then buckle and unbuckle the driver side seatbelt about 15 times quickly within a minute or less. Just do it as quickly as possible. Now turn the key to the off position and remove key. Next time and each time thereafter, the chime should sound 5 times and then stop. It worked first time for me but others had touble initially. If you have problems, use the search function on this site on the topic.
I tried that once, it says do it 3 times really fast, I couldn't get it to work, but I think I had the motor running when I did it. I'll try again.

Thanks.

On my Impreza there was a little white box just above the drivers left knee under the dash board. It could be umpluged and it didn't affect anything else. What I did is i let the bell go on and went under the dash until i found it and then unpluged it.

Is'nt that the same beeper that warns the keys are still in the ignition?

Ain't it great, my wife thinks I am just a genius for that piece of work. added hundreds to the resell value not to have to listen to that bit of noise.

thanks to whomever discovered it.

Yep, it beeps 6 times and stops, now.I can handle 6 beeps.:)

Just my two cents, But it seems to me that this "fix" will affect the proper airbag deployment, which can mean splat.

of course if you are such a dumb@$$ to drive without your seatbelt i guess you deserve to go splat.

sorry, that was .04 cents

Just my two cents, But it seems to me that this "fix" will affect the proper airbag deployment, which can mean splat.

seems like i have seen somewhere that is procedure is one that the dealer can perform for you, for a nominal fee.

All that is changing is the number of beeps , not what is initiating the process. Nor is it bypassing the sensors measuring the "weight on seat" value.

I certainly would not intentionally screw around with the system that was the sole reason for upgrading automobiles.

If anyone has any info on NoahDL88's excellent thought I would sure like to hear about it.

And thank you NoahDL88 for bringing that thought up here.

And thank you NoahDL88 for bringing that thought up here.

I used to work as an automotive restraints/airbag engineer, so i'm a little bit picky when it comes to seatbelts. the only thing worse than a broke subie, is a broken person in a subie that could have been avoided.

I didn't think the issue was whether to drive with or without a seatbelt. Personally, I'm not much for kissing a windshield. However, as I've said when the nagging beeping begins, "I heard you twice the first time".

The original post "Up here in alaska we occasionally start up and let warm up, so as soon as I get in I get the damn beeper" caught my attention and I missed the part where he wanted to "drive to the corner store" unbelted, creating th potential to one day find himself lap dancing with a telephone pole.

Correct me if I am wrong but I was lead to believe that the safety system remains intact but the warning ends after the 5 or 6 beeps once the reprogram described above is effected.