Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got my first 4WD Suby!

Because A. I like the joys of timing gears that never break, B. I have two EA81s and tansmissions laying about, C. I like the low end power and torque of the EA81. You have to rev the piss out of an EA82 to get any power. The EA82 turns 3K when doing 60, where the EA81 does about 2500, the EA82 begins to have power at 3K and the EA81 develops power at 2K.

Timing belts aside, the EA-82 is a better engine all around, especially if it has SPFI, mine started every morning, no matter how cold, the carby on the other hand was hit and miss.

You can use the 5 speed with the EA-81, you just have to use the EA-81 flywheel, EA-82 everything else. You'll be turning fewer RPM's with a 5 speed at 60 then with a 4 speed.

The EA-82 is a torquey SOB, if you have to rev it to get power that sounds like you have other issues with the engine that need attention.

Timing belts aside, the EA-82 is a better engine all around, especially if it has SPFI, mine started every morning, no matter how cold, the carby on the other hand was hit and miss.

You can use the 5 speed with the EA-81, you just have to use the EA-81 flywheel, EA-82 everything else. You'll be turning fewer RPM's with a 5 speed at 60 then with a 4 speed.

The EA-82 is a torquey SOB, if you have to rev it to get power that sounds like you have other issues with the engine that need attention.

You have to use the EA82 flywheel too!!!! If you don't the clutch will slip to beat the band. You may find that the holes on the EA82 fly wheel are slightly bigger then the EA81, but if you torque it down good it shouldn't be a problem.