Ultimate Subaru Message Board

to snatchblock or not to snatchblock ...

FlyB0y

Ok, I'm not going to get into how big a winch I need, I have decided for now to go with the minimalists, and use the 2000lb Harbor freight (mile marker) light-weight:D ... now all I wana know is of those of you who use that size winch, do you find that you need a snatch-block too? if so what kind? all that I have seen are alomost as much as the wench I bought! :eek:

any and all info welcome :drunk:

You are definately gonna want one, as your car weighs more than 2k lbs, and they reccomend you have your cars weight plus an extra 35%.

Also make sure that your cable can withstand the 4k lbs that would be put on it with the snatch block. and make sure that it can withstand it by a good safety margin, a cable that fails catostrophically has enough energy to cut you in half.

Ok, I'm not going to get into how big a winch I need, I have decided for now to go with the minimalists, and use the 2000lb Harbor freight (mile marker) light-weight:D ... now all I wana know is of those of you who use that size winch, do you find that you need a snatch-block too? if so what kind? all that I have seen are alomost as much as the wench I bought! :eek:

any and all info welcome :drunk:

2K LBS?

One question.

Do you wheel in mud at all?

If yes, DO NOT BUY THAT WINCH.

2K is NOT enough to get an ATV free from sticky mud. A Car recovery? forget about it.

Those winches are load rated at 5 wraps on the drum. More wraps=less torque.

I'd save another 100 bucks, and get the HF 8K Milemarker copy.

It's a little big on the front of a subaru, but it'll pull you when you REALLY need it.

If you are dead set on the 2K one, DO NOT SKRIMP on the snatch block. ALL rigging should be rated for 4X what the load is for a safety factor. I've seen cables snap, and snatch blocks fail. NOT a cool scene.

check Ebay, and local rigging places. A 12 pack goes a long way to getting cheap/free stuff.

Getting to needing a snatch block or not, I'd almost have to say YES, you will need one.

Don't forget the Tree protector(hooking hook to cable is a no-no) and a Ground Anchor.(old Solid Axle shafts driven into the ground work great)

And remember...When that cable is under tension, it stretches.....ALOT.

Stay out of a 45* arc from the cable. If it snaps, you do NOT want to be standing inline with it.

Hmmmm I looked at snatch blocks at Quality Supply, and they cost as much as my winch hehe :drunk: I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, but I wonder if anyone has seen a better deal than $49 for one?

Also, I don't have the winch yet, should be delivered this next thurs. will there be ratings on the break strength of the cable? all I know is that it's listed as "aircraft cable" and that it's 5/32

Hmmmm I looked at snatch blocks at Quality Supply, and they cost as much as my winch hehe :drunk: I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not, but I wonder if anyone has seen a better deal than $49 for one?

Also, I don't have the winch yet, should be delivered this next thurs. will there be ratings on the break strength of the cable? all I know is that it's listed as "aircraft cable" and that it's 5/32

You'll probably stall the winch before snapping the cable....but it DOES happen.

20 bucks...ebay

15 bucks ebay

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE

:headbang:

EDIT:

You'll want to be able to seperate the pulley from the frame to thread your cable through it. Don;t buy one without, or you are pulling your hook off EVERY time.

2K LBS?

One question.

Do you wheel in mud at all?

If yes, DO NOT BUY THAT WINCH.

2K is NOT enough to get an ATV free from sticky mud. A Car recovery? forget about it.

Those winches are load rated at 5 wraps on the drum. More wraps=less torque.

I'd save another 100 bucks, and get the HF 8K Milemarker copy.

It's a little big on the front of a subaru, but it'll pull you when you REALLY need it.

If you are dead set on the 2K one, DO NOT SKRIMP on the snatch block. ALL rigging should be rated for 4X what the load is for a safety factor. I've seen cables snap, and snatch blocks fail. NOT a cool scene.

check Ebay, and local rigging places. A 12 pack goes a long way to getting cheap/free stuff.

Getting to needing a snatch block or not, I'd almost have to say YES, you will need one.

Don't forget the Tree protector(hooking hook to cable is a no-no) and a Ground Anchor.(old Solid Axle shafts driven into the ground work great)

And remember...When that cable is under tension, it stretches.....ALOT.

Stay out of a 45* arc from the cable. If it snaps, you do NOT want to be standing inline with it.

Which one of the HF winches is this one? I don't see any rated anywhere near 8k near this price in my HF catalog .. :confused:

I didn;t see the 49 dollar price.

I thought you were looking at the 3K 139.00 one.

This one goes on sale for 239.99 ALL the time at my local store, and was the one I was referencing.

Sorry for the confusion.

Nice, I wish I had a HF where I live ... I used to in Olympa, WA ...

the one I already won on ebay has gotta be this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

I was so ticked!! I was the only bidder @ $5 for the longest time till some snipers showed up :rolleyes: and now I have to kick myself for not checking how cheap HF shipping is ... with the shipping I bought my used winch for $30, but with the shipping, it's $55, the HF one new is $58 with shipping! :banghead:

guess I will have to see what those blocks go for, thanks! I couldn't seem to find any on ebay when I looked, now I better watch-out for snipers and/or high shipping.

Search for Block and Tackle, Rigging block, and winch block.

HF's shipping SUCKS. I've had stuff come in 10 days, and had stuff not come for 6 months.

Ouch! :eek: well thanks for the warning!! maybe I will just limit any purchaces to when I am near a store.

I would say if you are going to have a winch, then definitely get a snatch block. Snatch blocks have multiple uses.

If you are really buried in the mud or down in a hole, you may find very quickly that a single line may not quite be enough to pull you out.

If you use the winch to pull out another heavier vehicle, hang the block on the stuck vehicle, run your winch line through the block and back to a tree or another vehicle and thus distribute the load so it doesn't just drag your own vehicle.

While trying to unstick another vehicle and you can't get aligned with it. hang the block on a tree or something in the direction you want to pull which will effectively use it as a change of direction block.

In fact I like snatch blocks so much, I think you should have at least two.

:)

Rollie

I would say if you are going to have a winch, then definitely get a snatch block. Snatch blocks have multiple uses.

If you are really buried in the mud or down in a hole, you may find very quickly that a single line may not quite be enough to pull you out.

If you use the winch to pull out another heavier vehicle, hang the block on the stuck vehicle, run your winch line through the block and back to a tree or another vehicle and thus distribute the load so it doesn't just drag your own vehicle.

While trying to unstick another vehicle and you can't get aligned with it. hang the block on a tree or something in the direction you want to pull which will effectively use it as a change of direction block.

In fact I like snatch blocks so much, I think you should have at least two.

:)

Rollie

Now here's a question, if I rig-up 2 at a time, will that again raise the pulling strength?

less force to pull, more tension in the cable

you'd be essentially creating a 2:1 pully system

oh yeah, you'd have to pull twice as much cable in to move the hook the same distance... i think

hmm so then it sounds like I shouldn't be using more than one at a time, if I can't be sure of the strength of the cable ... anyone using synthetic cable? I have heard of special non-metal synthetics that are supposed to be much stronger and lighter ...

Now here's a question, if I rig-up 2 at a time, will that again raise the pulling strength?

Count the number of cables pulling on the car.

Winch line out to one block and back to car is two cables or twice the pulling power of winch with single line.

Winch line out to 1st block, back to 2nd block on the car and then back to hook on same tailhold as first block equals 3 cable runs or three times the pulling power of winch with single line.

A big problem you will find quickly when running multiple blocks is you will run out of cable length very quickly and will find it difficult to reach all the way to a good tail hold. In that case another length of heavy cable would come in handy.

Overall I would say winches are very handy for self extraction, but when running with a group of other wheelers, you may find a 30 or 40 foot stretchy snatchum strap better suited for assisted extraction with the help of a second rig.

I for one, am also trying to figure out a good way to set up a wich on my Suby. I just like winches for some reason.

Rollie

Count the number of cables pulling on the car.

Winch line out to one block and back to car is two cables or twice the pulling power of winch with single line.

Winch line out to 1st block, back to 2nd block on the car and then back to hook on same tailhold as first block equals 3 cable runs or three times the pulling power of winch with single line.

A big problem you will find quickly when running multiple blocks is you will run out of cable length very quickly and will find it difficult to reach all the way to a good tail hold. In that case another length of heavy cable would come in handy.

Overall I would say winches are very handy for self extraction, but when running with a group of other wheelers, you may find a 30 or 40 foot stretchy snatchum strap better suited for assisted extraction with the help of a second rig.

I for one, am also trying to figure out a good way to set up a wich on my Suby. I just like winches for some reason.

Rollie

Yeah ... I like wenches too ... :brow: ... oh wait you said "winches" :-p (sorry I'm tired lol) damn work! I should be out on some trails tomarrow and I have to work for a few hours starting at 930 ... better get some sleep I guess ... thx again all!

(Hopefully some info on the synthetic line will be waiting when I get up just before work :cool: )

hmm so then it sounds like I shouldn't be using more than one at a time, if I can't be sure of the strength of the cable

Running your cable through snatch blocks does NOT put more stress on the cable. The cable will still only have as much stress as the winch is able to pull. Yes, rigging up snatch blocks correctly will allow you to pull harder on what ever object you are trying to move, but it is NOT done by putting more stress on any individual cable run, it is accomplished by having multiple cable runs pulling on the object to be moved.

You can go ahead and rig up as many blocks on a single line of winch cable as you want and it will NOT add any more stress on the cable then if there was no blocks in the rigging at all.

I hope I'm not adding confusion to this.

Rollie

(Hopefully some info on the synthetic line will be waiting when I get up just before work :cool: )

FlyBOy

I just did some quick searches on synthetic winch cables and it looks like there is a lot of good information out there. I know we have a local 4x4 club here in Bellingham Wa consisting mostly of Toyota pickups and it seems like most of them are running the synthetic cables on their winches, in fact I believe one of their members is a distributor for some.

I myself really like the synthetic cable. I understand it is just as strong for the same diameter, but has the advantage of being very flexible, doesn't rust or corrode and doesn't have those nasty broken sharp fibers that stick into your hands and cause terrible injuries.

Rollie

I myself really like the synthetic cable. I understand it is just as strong for the same diameter, but has the advantage of being very flexible, doesn't rust or corrode and doesn't have those nasty broken sharp fibers that stick into your hands and cause terrible injuries.

Rollie

and doesnt cut you in half when it breaks and you dont have to have a towl or coat over the cable:) but, synthetic seems to be the way to go. i was looking at some harbor freight winches a while ago.. I think the 5500 pound one would be just about right for these lil subies. but its almost as much as the 8,000 one was on sale. also, not sure if any one else has stated this, but how are you going to mount it? i know when i get a winch, im going to get a mount for my 2inch recievers, then i could just swap it from front to rear whenever.

Kewl, thx for the info, now I guess I will just look on ebay for the cable ... oh and I am using recievers also, I have a rear bumper that is made from a 1" reciver, and I plan on making a tunnel for the front too, and mount the winch to a plate that is in turn welded to a 1" tongue.

hey Rollie ... any info on that 'yota club member that deals in the synth cable?

I might see if I can order some up soon so I can put it on my winch soon as it arrives next week :brow: well, off to work I go!

After this job I am going to TURN OFF MY PHONE and head to painted rocks and do some exploring ... I have been waiting for MONTHS to check this place out ... too bad I don't have someone to run with ... I'm always carefull to check an obstacle on foot first, but atm all I have is a 1 ton come-along .... gonna keep my eye out for a block and tackle ... I think I just might use one of those with the winch if I can figure out an easy way to join the 2 cables :drunk:

Kewl, thx for the info, now I guess I will just look on ebay for the cable ... oh and I am using recievers also, I have a rear bumper that is made from a 1" reciver, and I plan on making a tunnel for the front too, and mount the winch to a plate that is in turn welded to a 1" tongue.

hey Rollie ... any info on that 'yota club member that deals in the synth cable?

I might see if I can order some up soon so I can put it on my winch soon as it arrives next week :brow: well, off to work I go!

After this job I am going to TURN OFF MY PHONE and head to painted rocks and do some exploring ... I have been waiting for MONTHS to check this place out ... too bad I don't have someone to run with ... I'm always carefull to check an obstacle on foot first, but atm all I have is a 1 ton come-along .... gonna keep my eye out for a block and tackle ... I think I just might use one of those with the winch if I can figure out an easy way to join the 2 cables :drunk:

Do a search on Amsteel Blue. Too bad 100 ft will cost you around 150 bucks.

As for connecting cables/straps, look for some D-rings. Again, OVERKILL is your friend. a 2 ton D-ring might work, but a 4 ton would be better.