Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX or XT which is better

I just aquired a 1986 XT turbo with pushbutton 4wd. I already have a 1987 RX turbo with dual range trans. I don't have titles for either one.

XT:

mostly straight body, interior needs a little help. Engine has good compression but the seller said it must have electrical problems. Chassis looks lowered. I haven't checked what gears are in it.

RX:

LSD, not straight body, interior is nice. Engine has cracked head/heads. Cracked windshield, XT6 sway bars, everything else is good.

The purpose of the car is drags, rallycross and autocross.

I never use the low range in the RX.

I have a fresh engine to drop in either of them.

I haven't measured the wheelbase and I'm likely to go with the shorter if they aren't the same.

What do you guys think? I can't keep em' both, no room. I may strip one for parts or I might sell it. I really hated the XT body style but it's kinda growing on me.

well myself, I've never been a big fan of wedge looking cars but I do have a '76 Triumph TR-7, bleh. I like the bodystyle of the RX better then the XT personally. As far as keeping one if them, look at what swapping of parts you'd have to do to the XT that the RX already has. As far as wheelbase, they're the same but nose vs. nose comparison or trunk vs. hatch comparison is different. XT by far has a longer nose on it which makes it a little heavier on the front I think but the RX doesn't have the areodynamics of the XT wedge design. So basically you're looking at either doing some bodywork on the RX and dropping a new engine in it or swapping the swaybars, rear diff plus other things you would want from the RX plus the installing of the new engine. Basically it comes down to, more work or less work?

Well, the XT has a lower drag coefficient, and I believe it's a little lighter, too.

What do you mean by "chassis looks lowered"? XTs are pretty low to the ground to begin with, but if it's REALLY low, it may have a bad air suspension (replace with standard suspension from j/y).

I'd keep the XT, personally. It's the straighter of the two, and the weight and lower drag may help give you a slight edge.

Take the fun parts off the RX and put them on the XT, then part out the rest.

Take ONE rally with that RX trans in low range, and you'll be in love. It's perfect for that application.

I say... put the engine and the RX tranny into the XT, as well as the RX suspension. Why? The front strut top mount points in the XT are 2 inches lower than the RX. This means that with the RX struts on the XT, it'll sit 2 inches higher than the RX. You may need to use the RX springs on 2WD sedan struts in the back to keep the car level. If you're going to be running it off road at high speed like you say, this extra height combined with the stiffness of the RX suspension will be pretty beneficial...

EDIT- just realized what I said about the strut mounts might be a little confusing. The nose of the XT is 2 inches slimmer, so any factory XT front strut will be 2 inches shorter than a comparable sedan/wagon/coupe front strut. So, by using the ones from the RX, you'll get a 2 inch lift (instead of the 2 inch drop people get by going the other way around).