Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hella headlight conversion?

I have it, here is what you do ...

Simply goto your local parts store and they can look-up a light to replace the sealed beam, and it is the same size and shape of the OEM sealed beam, just is a reflector with a replacable bulb and they come with 55w bulbs that wouldn't require much other than this they didn't warn me about ... I have a '85 brat and not sure if this is true of all brats, or all subies of this vintage, but the headlights operate with the power being constant and the ground being turned on and off. The hella lenses will ground themselves and make the lights stay on constantly ... this didn't happen for a long time .. 2 - 3 months later for me, if your going to stick with the 55w bulbs, just be sure and insulate the outside of the lense from the hedlight bezel (frame) I used a few layers of electrical tape, but I use 100w bulbs, so I made a separate circuit with a continuous use solenoid (looks like a Ford starter solenoid) make sure it says "continuous use" in the discription, I used a starter solenoid first and it died after 20 -30 min of use.

i can run whatever i want,but would like a static replacement.i have seen that link up there before and have seen it for the single headlight brats.......would like to find it for mine or i am just gonna have to .welll...i can't say:brow:

:confused: What do you mean "static replacemnt"? the ones I am talking about are designed to work as "bolt on" other than you have to Isolate them so they don't ground themselves and turn on as soon as you turn on the key. I was never able to find on-line descriptions or applications, but I went to my local "Bumper to Bumper" store and they just looked them up based on the model numbers for the stock sealed beam. They are really nice, only $45 each light compared to add-ons, very reasonable.

so they are a standard upgrade as opposed to a complete rewire?by static i meant bullet proof(as bulletproof as anything that you change can be):lol:

Yes :headbang: lol that is what I was trying to explain, they are EXACLY the same shape, size and configuration as the stock sealed beams with ONE exception, just simply wrap the outside of the lense with electrical tape (not enough room for foam ... I tried that first :-p ) when I say outside of the lense, I'm only talking about where it contacts the bezel, so like on my 4 light brat, just one width of tape in about 2 -3 layers around and it has a very wide pattern so it really lights things up nice, just be carefull if you have cops that check lights alot in your area, they might not be street legal :drunk: that is why I didn't get replacement low-beams too in my case .. only someone who knows what to look for will be able to tell it's anything other than a stock light unless they're on and blinding someone, but I'm ... :horse: .... (LOL!!! I just love this new icon hehe) just get some ordered, you will love how well they work :brow:

The hella lenses will ground themselves and make the lights stay on constantly...

This is quoted from the 200mm light page: "These lamps include an adapter to change the location of the ground terminal since some genius decided it was a good idea to make this lamp different from all the rest of the sealed beams and the H4 bulb."

Maybe this fixes the issue you describe?

This is quoted from the 200mm light page: "These lamps include an adapter to change the location of the ground terminal since some genius decided it was a good idea to make this lamp different from all the rest of the sealed beams and the H4 bulb."

Maybe this fixes the issue you describe?

No, I believe this is refering to the 2 wire leads comming from the back of the light that are removeable. It has 2 leads that have blade type plug-ins that match the stock plug for the headlight. If you simply hook these up as they are, (with the tape insulating them from the bezel) you will have no more difficulty than replacing a normal light and you will be able to simply buy H4 replacement bulbs when they wear-out. :)

let's steal you a couple of sodium vapor streetlights. You'll light up the town for a quarter mile in advance, but you'll have to turn on your car for 15 minutes before driving to let the lights warm up :drunk: plus your brat will look all hott (with two t's, yes) and angry with teardrop shaped headlights.

My USAF buddies and I once mounted a spare B52 landing light (powered by gasoline generator) to a guy's pickup while we were stationed up at Farchild. We owned a stretch of highway 2 for a night. Everything had to pullover. We all had tans from playing around with it. :lol:We managed to get it back to base without hurting anyone or getting arrested...good times. ;)

i wanted to do that when i was stationed on wainwright.....we were cleaning out an old hanger and found some landing lights........did not get a chance to.there were three on a huge bar and i was gonna mount it in the back of my ranger.......

My USAF buddies and I once mounted a spare B52 landing light (powered by gasoline generator) to a guy's pickup while we were stationed up at Farchild. We owned a stretch of highway 2 for a night. Everything had to pullover. We all had tans from playing around with it. :lol:We managed to get it back to base without hurting anyone or getting arrested...good times. ;)

i wanted to do that when i was stationed on wainwright.....we were cleaning out an old hanger and found some landing lights........did not get a chance to.there were three on a huge bar and i was gonna mount it in the back of my ranger.......

ROFLOL!!! :lol:

Why didn't I think of that when I was stationed at Mc Chord!!!:rolleyes:

I kinda like the Sodium lights too tho ... hmmmm might need an alternator from a F16 tho (they do have them right? :drunk: )

Well, I'm off to the next GSA (government surpluss) auction! :grin: