Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Altenator Question

Hey guys,

I was just wondering. I just put in a 300 watt amp in my 93 Loyale...its a four channel amp so its not a mono sub amp, but its all i had so i'am running that with one 500watt pioneer 12, and i have set it up so the power just goes to the one channel. The amp is a Power Acoustics Fire and Ice. Its a really nice amp, but not anymore power than i need....

Anyway, heres my question; my car seems to be ok altenator wise with this setup. I can run my brights, have my heater on full blast and have the radio way up and i can't notice any dimming or anything change...so am i ok with this stock altenator??? Its only like three months old so i'am just wondering if it will weaken as time goes on or not...

Thanks,

Bill

Alts are easy to swap. I was going through them at about 1 every couple of mounthe running cb radio stuff. If you were it out, just get one with a lifetime warenty. I have a linear amp that draws quite a bit of power (when i key my radio to talk at idle rpms drop down), but the stack alt works ok.

Alts are easy to swap. I was going through them at about 1 every couple of mounthe running cb radio stuff. If you were it out, just get one with a lifetime warenty. I have a linear amp that draws quite a bit of power (when i key my radio to talk at idle rpms drop down), but the stack alt works ok.

I know its easy to swap but i don't want to spend the $$...

bill

With a constant load on it, if you are alway pulling at what the alt can put out, it will get hot, and go south eventually. hOW LONG THOUGH, YOU NEVER KNOW. i HAVE ALTS LAST FOR 2 YEARS, AND i HAVE TRASHED THEM IN A MATER OF HOURS

As far as wiring the amp goes... Can you bridge two or all of the channels together? Unless there is a miscommunication, you are only running the sub with 75w (1/4 of 300) or maybe 150 if you flippeded a "2-Channel" switch.

Just trying to help you get the most out of it...

FWIW, I've been runnning audio since I got my car a year and a half ago, and the previous owner was using a smaller setup. Two amps totalling 450w rms + a pair of fogs (that are on around 50% of run time). Alternator is unknown condition, was there when I got it. I have no issues.