Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Ram Power!

Mr Fishums

http://ramengines.com/

I was just curious, are there any other vendors of subaru preformance long-blocks/turnkey engines?

That 140hp long block looks really sweet, but the price tag has got me thinking (convert to VW aircooled) :lol:

http://www.cbperformance.com/turnkeys.asp

Where for the same price and Power, I could get a Turnkey with dual webers instead! Lol, wonder if anyone has ever done that one?

Peace, Fishums

Where can a guy get a good set of webers made for the subaru at a decent price?

I haven't found any yet, but I do see that for the price of a single Weber at ramengines $1059.95 :banghead: . I could get a pair of VW dual 48 IDA webers for 3/4 the price. I have to figure out how hard it would be to make my own custom intakes out of a subaru manifold and a VW manifold, without making it look like junk! :-p I've got a few ideas already though. Any one happen to know what kind of flow rating we would be looking at if say we wanted to get 160 HP out of that EA81?

Peace, Fishums

Yeah I think what you are looking at there is the single weber INTAKE. I bought my weber new for 384 at carbsunlimited.com, though you can find rebuilt ones for cheaper. There's a board member ScottInBellinham that will be making dual carb intakes sometime soon, contact him if you are interested as the more demand there is for them the more will be made.

Where can a guy get a good set of webers made for the subaru at a decent price?

I haven't found any yet, but I do see that for the price of a single Weber at ramengines $1059.95 :banghead: . I could get a pair of VW dual 48 IDA webers for 3/4 the price. I have to figure out how hard it would be to make my own custom intakes out of a subaru manifold and a VW manifold, without making it look like junk! :-p I've got a few ideas already though. Any one happen to know what kind of flow rating we would be looking at if say we wanted to get 160 HP out of that EA81?

Peace, Fishums

I am also looking into aftermarket ignition systems. MSD and Jacobs, are the top two on my list, still trying to decide which setup to go with. I notice the multiple sparks and duration, help tremendously with performance.

I have not yet found a "performance" distributor for an EA-81, other than the Recurved dual pick-up distributor from ramengines.com that at $595.00 seems rediculous.

If you know any other options, post em!

PEace, Fishums

The thing to remember about Ram Engines is that they specialize in building aircraft engines out of Subaru engines. I think you could build a lot more for less money if the consequence of failure is pulling to the side of the road rather than falling out of the sky.

...Still curious on the boost pressure limits of that bad boy, I've got a blow thru weber setup from my old dune buggy that is just waiting to be fabricated :brow:

The EA81T is the precursor to the EA82T, so much of what is said here about one applies to the other. Similar CR, similar boost (about 7-8psi stock).

What is being neglected/overlooked here is that to get more HP what you really need to do is be able to spin the engine faster... like 8-9K RPM. This is pretty much what RAM does. Better breathing, higher RPM. All of the porting and carburetion and intake manifolds won't help if you aren't going to run it much above 4k rpm.

And, Holley's 390 CFM 4160 would be a better match to a soob than a 600cfm, but is a bit more pricey that their basic 600cfm. Worked REALLY nicely on my 2.0L Datsun until it got shaken apart...

This turbo was designed for a 1600-2100cc 4 cyclendar boxer motor. It is blow thru weber design, and produces 8psi boost at 2300 RPM on a 1950cc aircooled VW engine. As for carbs, it is to my knowledge that you have to match your airflow with your feul flow. Also intake and exhaust on natural aspirated motors need to be matched to tune the motor.

Also why is it the common beleive around here that airplane engines run at such high RPM's? Most props can only be spun at 1100-2100 RPM. If the go beyond this the tips of the blades go supper sonic and destroy themselfs. Airplane motor's are generally done with smaller valves, intakes and headers for high torque configurations.

Fishums

Actually, the Subaru engines used for aircraft applications run through reduction gearing (also offered on Ram Engines' website).

You can run your turbo on your stock engine, as long as you avoid detonation. To run your turbo, you would need to do the necessary fabrication for the intake, plus install a higher-pressure electric fuel pump and a boost-indexed regulator. For carbed applications, a blow-off valve is a really good idea, too. I'm not sure about the EA81, but the first-generation EA82T motor (85-86) has a distributor and knock sensor that don't require an ECM and wiring harness.

• 3 years later...