Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea-81 soob FAILED horribly with emissions

So after 50 hours in the garage dicking around with this junk rump roast subaru, finally finding my fatal problem....

It fails emissions. by a butt load. Where my CO2 should of been 1.5%, it was a whopping 8%. how the F do i fix this??

I need as many suggestions as you guys can give me. help please!!

the cat converter was removed, could this be it?

OH yeah...not having a cat will surely affect how it passes. I would throw a new one on...fix that EGR valve or block it off and replace the O2 sensor if your car has one. Mine failed for CO because of a crappy O2 sensor. Also check the timing and make sure its set where it should be. Another trick to passing is get it up on the highway and up to temp before trying to pass. This will blow out any junk that may cause it to fail. Good luck!

not only the cat, but the mixture on the carb sounds WAYYY off (carb may even need rebuild), timing, idle mixture, rpm and temp all affect emissions - if your car is 2WD it may have come with a control unit for the carb which you will need working as well (along with the check valves connected to it) - cats are more of a back-up for CO2/CO emissions issues - any engine catless or not, should be able to pass emissions if all is running properly, but a cat does help a LOT - not to mention the fact that they are required by law

one perk is that you fuel mileage will be MUCH better after you fix the mixture

Assuming the engine is runing well:

You gotta slap a cat on for the test. If you are on a tight budget, a used one will probably work if you can see through the element.

I would also get it down to 1/4 tank or less and put a couple cans of B-12 (I've never tried HEET) in the tank, then hot rod it a bit until almost empty and then get some good gas.

I would also change the oil with 40 oil or thicker if your engine has lots of miles on it. This may help reduce blowby past the rings.

And always the good highway blast right before the test is good.

If these things don't get you to pass, there will most likely be fuel delivery or internal engine issues that need to be resolved.

good luck! let us know how it goes!

I had this same thing happen to me with a hatch I used to own.I used 2 cans of seafoam(same thing as b-12) to about a 1/4 of tank of fuel.Drove it around really hard for a while and then took the cover off of the aircleaner and reved her to about 3grand and poured some water down the carb and let her steam out really good.After that it passed with flying colors.Did have a cat though.