Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Wagon - Should I buy it?

There's an 84 wagon down the street for sale for under 500 bucks. Guy claims it runs fine, has a good body, but has intermittant started issues. for 80 bucks I can put a new starter in it (unless the wiring is bad?). Its a 5 speed, 4x4, and he claims there aren't any major probs. 180K miles. Should I buy it? Anythign in particular to look at? Thanks,

Jordan

first thing I would check is RUST - if it is a rustbucket, forget it

second is the transmission - there was no 5-speed 4x4 in 1984 MY (only 1985/later), just a 5 speed FWD, and a 4-speed 4WD or 4WD D/R it may have had another, later model tranny swapped into it, the last possibility is that the guy is simply wrong

any of the manual trannies are reliable

third is the start issue - does it crank, but not fire, or just not crank? - if it just does not crank, the solutions could be very easy/cheap (starter/ignition switch), if it cranks, but doesn't fire it could get harder to diagnose, but still not too bad to fix

all-in-all, if it is mechanically sound, and not eaten with rust, heck go for it!!!

BTW - I noticed in your signature that your '85 has smoke issues - are they oil-related (PCV/valve seals/rings/head gasket), or coolant related (head gasket/cracked head), and how new is your PCV valve?? - I have over 156k on mine, and the worst it does is a puff at start up if I haven't run it for a while - an EA82 shouldn't smoke a lot at 156k

Being in Seattle I would guess rust wouldnt be an issue. If by chance there IS rust, $100 tops in my opinion. If it cranks and doesnt start sometimes, reduce the value of it for that too.

If you just think it needs a new starter, thats an easy fix.

Try showing up with $400 cash and an extra $100 in your sock or something. They may jump on the $400 and then you can spend the $100 on a starter and a case of beer :drunk:

The starting issue is such that it occasionally just clicks when attempting to start it. So, I'm guessing its a wiring/starter issue, not a matter of getting it to turn over. Based on his explaination, it will start if it turns over. As far as rust, I'll check and see. The tranny issue - I'm guessing he's just wrong. Or he thinks reverse is the 5th gear, LOL.

85sub4x4- the smoking issue on our 85 actually seems to have gotten a bit better on its own. The coolant level isn't changing, so I don't think its a cracked head. The smoke appears to be an oil issue. The PCV valve is probably original. It probably needs rings and seals, but in its current condition it always has clean oil, lol.

If it is occasionally just a click check the voltage at the battery if its good there then its the solenoid.

Agreed, and if a good battery (or jumping with your rig) fixes it then it's just a low battery. My guess is it has sat a while and the battery is bad, or just old and going bad.

Occasional click from the starter can be due to the starter, battery and connectors, and solenoid. A not uncommon problem with the older GLs is that the connector from the ignition switch into the wiring harness of the car goes bad. Easy fix, a trip to PAP to pull another ignition switch and short harness and then install in the wagon and you're good to go. Easy problem to spot and diagnose since the one wire running current to the starter heats up at the connector and the plastic turns brown (or black). I know someone posted a pic of one of these bad connectors but I don't know where.

By the way, I don't have an 85, its an 88. I'm not even drunk.... yet. I corrected my sig.

still the same engine as mine, almost the same car period. You just got yours fuel injected at the factory, and a slightly different dash layout - I would check the smoking issue out tho .... something is usually afoot when an engine starts smoking at that mileage - you aren't running 5w30 or something like that are you? These engines like 10w30, 15w40 (gas version) and 15w50, and maybe 20w50. 5w30 will blow past seals and cause other problems.

I agree with the agressive negotiation stratagy (IE beer), unless a nun is selling it, most people will jump for it. I know this and I don't even drink :lol:

Good Luck :drunk:

SO,

The car looked pretty clean at first look. I immedietly looked below the front doors by the front wheel wells. Minimal to small amounts of small rust spots. By no means a rust bucket. Rest of body was clean. Battery was dead, would not start. Also needs new starter, but allegedly runs like a top when started and will start with current starter, just need a little coaxing. Lifted up front floor mats - moisture under mats (mold on pax side). Unsure of source. Car has reciepts since new. Always in WA.

I'm thinking 300 bucks in current condition. 85 bucks for a starter and 40 for a battery making it a 425 dollar car, conditional on it starting if jumped.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? if I'm gonna make this offer, I'd prefer to do it soon. Thanks guys.

Jordan

P.S. possible off road/lift candidate too. Oh, and it IS a 4sp man.

Go for it - the electrical systems on these cars are generally pretty easy to T-shoot, a good body makes it worth the cost alone

moldy floormats could mean leaky windshild (if front only), bad window seals, or something as benign as someone leaving the windows down when it rained on one occasion - IE I would not worry about it - especially if it is to be a fun/mod car

the 4speed D/R is also a good tranny - the EA81 is an excellent workhorse too

Have Fun :D