Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine/tranny swap... '84 Brat

Wow I can tell its been awhile since I've done this swap. Got the old engine and tranny out by myself in about 1 1/2 hours which isn't great considering I had the engine in my '78 Brat in and out in about 45 minutes. Anyways, I got a question about the tranny...

Looking at the tranny going into the car (4-speed, d/r 4wd) the shaft for the 4-speed selector coming out of the tranny has the bracket that goes around the shift lever which is bolted keeping the bracket tight on the rod. Now the tranny in the vehicle has major problems like the bushings are shot but they're not (I checked). I noticed that this bolt mentioned before comes loose and makes it feel very sloppy like a bad bushing. Maybe this is why the tranny won't go into reverse? The shift lever hits the 4wd lever. The bolt on the tranny going into the car was loose and I just now noticed it. Thoughts? Any suggestions on doing this by myself? Pretty easy, I remember almost everything that I've had to disconnect/reconnect so no issues there.

Oh, also I noticed there's this funny clunk coming from the front end. I'm thinking its a loose castle nut but I'm not sure. Gonna poke around on it some more tomorrow. Oh and the brakes need to be bled and the passenger side front caliper seems to stick a little cause it makes a knock after you let up off the brakes and get on the gas. Coming with this slight brake work is a rear disc brake conversion as well.....

check your e-brake lever on the caliper for the right side.....mine was rusted all to hell.....and almost killed me when i thought i had it unstuck:banghead:

not like your a newb,but that fix for slop in the shifter is in the usrm now,it has pics ,so it might help you decide what is up.

remember , it's just an ea-81,i know you've danced all around with a 71 and 82 of the ea's.........just like anything else.

well I think I figured out the clunking coming form the front end. Turns out the castle nut on the driver side axle was loose with no cotter pin so I tightened it and put a pin in. Then to be on the safe side, I checked the passenger side and there wasn't a pin either. It was tight though so more poking around may be needed. I also figured out why the transmission was so sloppy feeling.... damn bracket which I need to fix. So the saga continues on the BRAT!