Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of Buying an '05 Legacy GT... Opinions?

So, as much as I love my STi, I have a lot or reasons to want to get rid of it for something more practical and cheaper. I'm able to get a very attractive deal on a left over '05 Legacy GT Sedan with the sport shift automatic. I've heard that there have been problems with the headlights. Other than that what do people have to say good or bad? Personally I love the styling and think it's the ultimate mid-sized sedan for the money.

Keith

I was at that same dealer you are talking about.... I drove an 06 GT 5speed this past weekend. The 3 05 GT's that they have a beautiful cars!

I don't know how the automatics are but the 5 speeds really move. :D

Well, two of them are. The other one is a demo, and to me that is a used car. The only way I would buy that is if they sold it to me for used car pricing. The other two are new and they want to get rid of them. They are all white, but on this car that looks nice. I drove an automatic wagon about 8 months ago and moved pretty good. This is a sedan so I expect it to move even better. I'm going to stop and drive it tonight and probably put a deposit down on it. My only complaint was the parking brake placement, but I think I can get over that.

Keith

back to the top..... Did you buy the GT then?????

Picking it up tomorrow :grin: I'm not sure that any joe blow walking in would get the same deal I am, but they took $5k off the car. I'm not getting as much as I'd like in trade-in for the STi, but it was in an accident and had "frame damage." If I tried like heck I might be able to get an extra $1000 if I sold it privately,(I'd have to sell it for $1000 more just to make up the tax difference so I'd have to sell it for $2000 more to make the $1000) but that would be a pain since it was hit, not to mention the big scrath I put in the one door at a rally-cross, and the fact that the brakes are original after 29k so they will need to be replaced soon, and the tires only have half their tred left so by the end of summer they would need to be replaced at a high price. Oh, and did I mention that it has noisey rear struts that they have been reluctant to replace? (Got one replaced but the other one isn't bad enough yet for them to agree it's really the strut.) So as much as I love the STi and would love to keep it, I have a lot of reasons to not keep it, and this is a great way out that keeps me driving a fast roo. Oh, did I mention the LGT's insurance will be almost 1/2 that of the STi's!!!! :eek: I'll be saving $80 a month just in insurance!

Keith

New GT? Pics? We want pics!

When I pick it up tonight I'm going to take pics of it side by side with the STi I'm trading in. Man.... I never thought I'd own anything like either of these! Thank you Lincoln Tech :lol: I'm going to miss the pure rush of the STi, but not the crazy insurance and hassle of every ricer in a civic that tries to race it. I can't wait until the summer when I can throw the bronze wheels I have on it. That should be really sweet.

Keith

now you are one step closer to wedding rings and baby seats....:lol:

Hey... who told you? ;)

What did you learn at lincoln tech.? and where is lincoln tech.? I never heard of it...

Well, if you really want to know... Lincold Tech (Lincoln Technical Institute) is a Technical/Trade school. They have Schools in MD, IL, IN, TX, NJ, and PA. There is one in Philly and one in Allentown. I went to the one in Allentown and studied electronics. I got an associates degree after 15 straight months of school. I said what I did because back in the mid 90s (I went there from 8-95 to 11-96) they had this horrible comercial that started something like, "Feeling boxed in? Stuck in a Dead end Job? Then" blah blah blah. At the end they always showed some young guy getting into a Corvette as he says, "Thanks Lincoln Tech!" and drives away. My friends always teased me about it. Now that I make $50k a year and don't have huge student loans with my little 2 year degree they don't tease, they're jealous.

Keith

Hey... who told you? ;)

Well, if you really want to know... Lincold Tech (Lincoln Technical Institute) is a Technical/Trade school. They have Schools in MD, IL, IN, TX, NJ, and PA. There is one in Philly and one in Allentown. I went to the one in Allentown and studied electronics. I got an associates degree after 15 straight months of school. I said what I did because back in the mid 90s (I went there from 8-95 to 11-96) they had this horrible comercial that started something like, "Feeling boxed in? Stuck in a Dead end Job? Then" blah blah blah. At the end they always showed some young guy getting into a Corvette as he says, "Thanks Lincoln Tech!" and drives away. My friends always teased me about it. Now that I make $50k a year and don't have huge student loans with my little 2 year degree they don't tease, they're jealous.

Keith

HAH! I also went a a tech school (Elkins Institute - now defunct)

"Do you like to work with your hands, but don't like to get dirty? Perhaps, you should pursue a career in electronics!" (I liked to quote that when I was sweating like a hunk of rancid pork, standing in the direct Texas sun in August, putting magnetic marks on 30,000 feet of armored logging cable for hours on a Saturday!)

good times

Oh, did I mention the LGT's insurance will be almost 1/2 that of the STi's!!!! :eek: I'll be saving $80 a month just in insurance!

Keith

Holy **** I'm glad I don't own a new car. I have three cars insured, one for business use which is more expensive, and I only pay $90/month total.

Where did they move the parking brake on the '05?

Z

Holy **** I'm glad I don't own a new car. I have three cars insured, one for business use which is more expensive, and I only pay $90/month total.

Where did they move the parking brake on the '05?

Z

Yeah, but what kind of coverage? People saying I only pay $xxx means nothing.The $ amounts of coverage and deductablesmatter. The age of the cars, their market value, and things like no collision coverage also matter. It's all relative. If I had just my 95 Legacy with just liability I could pay as little as $25 a month.

Keith

Yeah, but what kind of coverage? People saying I only pay $xxx means nothing.The $ amounts of coverage and deductablesmatter. The age of the cars, their market value, and things like no collision coverage also matter. It's all relative. If I had just my 95 Legacy with just liability I could pay as little as $25 a month.

Keith

True enough. Mine is just liability. And all of them are '80's vehicals. The replacement cost on each of my cars is probably twice bluebook so I'd just get screwed anyway even if I had collision (they're all weird ones, and the weird features are not valued by blue book -- for example, blue book doesn't really care that my '89 GL has no rust, dual range and the touring roof which I see as definite advantages but don't differentiate it from a normal old '90 Loyale in insurance's mind)

But my point that a new car would cost more still holds, because I'd have to have collision on that (well, unless I could afford to not buy it on credit. hah)

that;ll be an extra $250.00 for parking in the handicap area. i saw the handicap sign and had to say that,nice car.

Well, I had to park there for several reasons. When I first picked up the car I was the first one in town and they made a big deal of it. They took all these pictures of the car in front of the dealership and me getting the keys. When they did it that was where the car was parked. So I figured I took it from that spot 2 1/2 years ago, so I decided to return it to there. :)

both of them are such nice cars. I think you'll enjoy the new ride though.

Matt

Well, after driving it a bit around town last night and to work this morning I'm happy with the car. I just have to keep remembering that this is better for my future plans, and put aside the fact that I already miss the pure rush of how freakin fast the STi was. I'm also worried that when I take it on a 6 hour trip to NH in two weeks that I'm going to have a hard time staying awake. It is so quiet inside and rides so nice. My 95 rides nice, but it's noisey.

Keith