Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 1.8L Impreza Keeps Beeping

You know how a car beeps when you put the key into the ignition? My car has been beeping at me nonstop. It will start when I'm slowing down and usually continue stopped and cease when I accelerate again. It's really loud. I've never heard anything like this before. The car was in a wreck and rebuilt before I bought it, but I've taken good care of it since I've had it. Any ideas on what could cause this?

Thanks,

Justin Vinall

I know you said beeping but is it by any chance the "door open" indicator signal? Perhaps there is a loose connection at one of the plungers.

No, it doesn't beep when a door's open, a light comes on on the dash. It's a nonstop, high-pitched beep. What kind of loose connection could cause this?

Is it the SAME beep as the key in the ignition beep, or were you just making a comparison? If not, is it Rapid, slow, etc?

Could be an old improperly disabled alarm? Something to do with the stereo?

No, it doesn't beep when a door's open, a light comes on on the dash. It's a nonstop, high-pitched beep. What kind of loose connection could cause this?

Find the beeper and remove it. It shouldn't be that difficult using a short length of hose to the ear.

There is a multitude of crap in the panel under the steering wheel on our legacy. If it isn't there, having the panel removed will give you better access to the whole area.

I've got the same exact problem with my '97 Legacy SUS (around 159K miles). Basically I'll be driving along just fine and all of a sudden... beep, beep, beep, beep... just like the door was open with the key in the ignition and the car off.

I've had this problem off and on for a little over a year. I've played with the seatbelt mechanism and the ignition switch. Haven't played with any of the door sensors. I don't think it's one of the door sensors though b/c I would imagine I'd see the red light for the door indicator flickering. I don't think it's the seatbelt not connected indicator because I've removed and inserted my seatbelt when this happens and it still beeps.

So I'm definitely leaning toward an issue with the ignition switch. It is incredibly annoying and I am hoping to find a fuse to unplug or else I might just cut the wire to the beeper.

I found lots of other links on this forum with other people who have experienced this. Here are just a couple of examples:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44218&highlight=beep

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21136&highlight=beep

Keep us posted! I'll report back once I am able to look into this on my end.

Edited by aclopezjr

My car has a water leak--the floors in the back can have up to an inch of water, and the front gets pretty wet too. I used a car vacuum to suck it all out, and the beeping problem stopped. I can only think that there must have been some kind of short somewhere in the wiring.

... or you drowned the beep!

My car has a water leak--the floors in the back can have up to an inch of water, and the front gets pretty wet too. I used a car vacuum to suck it all out, and the beeping problem stopped. I can only think that there must have been some kind of short somewhere in the wiring.

• 18 years later...