Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd gear synchro going out

the synchros in manual trannys are little "rings" that are in between the gears to match the next gears speed better than with no synchros. i odnt know if there is a fix for this, i have it also, only when i peel out does it grind, otherwise its just fine. if you caught it early enough you might be able to change your tranny gear oil with some lucas oil additive. use one quart lucas oil add. and the rest use some GL-5 rated 75-90w synthetic gear oil. and give it a tenth of a second or so for the synchros to match easier.

~Josh~

i also here about some valvoline redline synth gear oil or something like that... dont know much about it but try searching, it is expensive tho...

I dont know about subarus, but I assume they're the same as everything else, syncros are usually these brass rings that have a beveled edge that leads up to the teeth and matches up with the gear... best way to preserve them is using the right oil, and double declutching.

I'll attach some pics of the guts of a transmission out of a 5spd nissan 720. the reason the input shaft is weird is cause the needle/pilot bearing went.

post-16176-136027605842_thumb.jpg