Ultimate Subaru Message Board

in need of help

what have you done and/or checked so far? place to start would be at the battery and work your way to the ignition and starter system, check for continuity, make sure your battery is fully charged(i think 12.6V or higher w/out engine running) and has close to the number of cold cranking amps indicated on the battery, and that your alternatory works good(voltage at battery should be something like 14.1 volts with car running). check all wires and connections, check fuses, check your grounds, many if not most electrical problems stem from having bad grounds. other than that, theres not much more I know to say without more information. hope that helps a little.

i have done everything u have said except follow the wires fron the battery. when i do get pwoer i can compression start it and go but it will transferre enough power to the start to it to turn over. whe ni turn the key the starter does nothing. it don't even click. i can usually do this 3 or 4 times then i all the power to the car just stops. and i know the battery is good because i have move it to another car right i have lost power and ie would start it right up. i am going to follow the wires tomorrow but i thinking it could be the ignition. but i have no way ro replace it right now. how important is the ignition ? is there a way i can by pass it to see if that the problem? and where are the most common places for the grounds so i can check them as well?

Replacing the starter solenoid should solve this problem. If it doesn't replace the ignition switch.

Edit: When cranking the engine, current flows from the battery, through the ignition switch and then to the starter solenoid . Too much resistance in the ignition switch and not enough amps make it to the solenoid to energize it. Result is a no-crank situation.

yeah start with the solenoid... check your local parts store, dont know if the start solenoid is part of the starter rump roast'y but I know you can get it for less than 100$

as for your ignition... thats not your problem, and w/out your ignition you car cannot run. gas needs a spark to ignite in most gas engines...