Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of stock carb do I have?

Actually that's not all technically correct, the Carter/Weber is held on by one stud in the back and one bolt that goes in from underneath (a MAJOR *************** to loosen and tighten because it took me over an hour to get that one bolt off and back on). The Carter/Weber also has four torx head screws that hold it to the adapter plate that bolts to the engine, and I know from experience that these tend to back out and leave the carb flopping around loose on the manifold. The Hitatchi is held on by four studs and nuts. The easiest way to tell the difference is the throttle cable will be routed on the left side of the carb (driver's side) on the Carter/Weber and on the passenger side on the Hitatchi (You may not even have to remove the air cleaner top to see this). Most likely you have a Hitatchi, and if so, be glad because I hear bad things about the Carter/Weber, though aside from the loosening screws I have had little trouble with it.P.S. I was told by a Subaru mechanic that the Carter/Weber only went on 83's and 84's, and then only rarely and mostly on FWD models (like Mr. Suby my little engine that could!), so I stongly suspect yours is Hitatchi.

Thank you sooo much Markjs. I got a hitachi.

If at all possible, get hold of the EA82 intake manifold for your Weber. It has a larger intake at the base of the carb, so it flows more air. Get the Weber kit and adaptor plate for the EA82 manifold, so it all matches. I suspect that the EA81 Weber kit would have leaner jetting due to the smaller airflow of the EA81 manifold.

If at all possible, get hold of the EA82 intake manifold for your Weber. It has a larger intake at the base of the carb, so it flows more air. Get the Weber kit and adaptor plate for the EA82 manifold, so it all matches. I suspect that the EA81 Weber kit would have leaner jetting due to the smaller airflow of the EA81 manifold.

Having done this twice now, I totally agree with using the EA-82 carb intake. A few mods need to be done to manifold to clear the disty, but nothing major.

1st one I did, I mounted the Weber normally using two 1/2" spacers from jameng.com.

On the 2nd one, I mounting the Weber backwards using only one spacer. You need to flip the cable mount upside-down, and space the bracket for it out about a 1/2", using one of the mount bolt holes for the bracket the pitch-stopper mounts to. The EA-82 lower radiator hose works for the upper hose from T-stat to radiator, with some trimming. I have pics of all of this if you want to see what's what.