Ultimate Subaru Message Board

incredibly high idle in the rx

my rx is idleing very high latley when i start it up, it used to only got up to 1700 when cold, not it will run at 2500 rpm until it warms up. then it will come down to between 1700 and 2000 rpm. i cant get the idle anywhere neare where it needs to be without the car being in gear.

i tried pinching down the idle air valve hose and there didnt seem to be any change.

any ideas or suggestions?

RallyRuss found a harness to replace the one leading

to the coolant thermosensor if that turns out to be the

culprit. It's Motormite#85850 (Bosch fuel injection harness).

My car has been acting the same way lately. I cleaned my

IAC as good as I could without completely removing it and

it helped some, but it's still idleing at 1k instead of 7-800

like it used too. I was gonna replace the harness and clean

the contacts on the CTS just for the hell of it. It probably

won't fix the problem, but it definitely won't hurt.

dont remember what one i turned, but i remember that it didnt go very far and had no difference in the idle.

either way, the throttle cable isnt the culprit, its got the full range of movement that it is meant to.

Are you adjusting the screw on the top, not the one on the side, just want to make sure

If you adjust the idle speed screw, facing up on the throttle body, it will definitely effect the idle, there is a smaller screw on the side for fast idle(ie with accessories on) and that will make little to no noticeable difference. I would definitely give that a try

check your coolant temp sensor

i pulled mine out, and the cap was all green and ugly, like a penny after its been in water. the contacts themselves look good. i dont know if it needs to be replaced or not, so i took a pic...

post-2228-136027605872_thumb.jpg

i see that you found it john. try cleaning it up really good and replacing the wires if they are bad, then let us know if that helps.

took me long enough too. took forever to find because its kinda hidden, and then i decided i needed to go to sears to get a socket that i didnt need anyway. :banghead: