Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 2wd Hatch ... how easy to convert to 4wd? just bolt on?

You would need the hi low 4speed tranny, drive shaft, and the entire rear end from the junkyard car. I believe you also need a different fuel tank for clearance around the rear diff. you didnt state if it was a manual or auto 2wd. If its auto you need the manual pedal assemble as well. Not sure if the 2wd bellhousing and clutch are the same or not. Someone else on here would be able to answer that better than me. This will give you an idea of what your up against. If the body is in really good shape then it might be worth it but if its a rustbucket it would be easier to just buy it cheap and use it as a beater until you find a good 4wd hatch.

hmmm so to make a 2wd , 4wd, all you need is everything south of the engine? dang .. I guess I'd be better off just finding a 4wd lol ... I'd probubly pay $200 - $300 for all that and I can probubly just find a good 4wd hatch for that price or less :drunk: thx for the info ;)

Local Seattle Pull a Part yard will sell you all the parts you need for about $120 or less. But I agree, it would be cheaper to find a 4WD wagon and certainly less work. With a pull a part yard you not only have to remove all the parts needed as well as re-install them. 4WD wagons with a blown head gasket or some other minor problem can be had for a song and would make for much better candidates for restoration.

hmmm so to make a 2wd , 4wd, all you need is everything south of the engine? dang .. I guess I'd be better off just finding a 4wd lol ... I'd probubly pay $200 - $300 for all that and I can probubly just find a good 4wd hatch for that price or less :drunk: thx for the info ;)

I think there is also some "beatin" required to allow clearance for some rear drive train parts.

Do a search, it's been done many-a-time.

I'd also agree that is may be cheaper to just buy one and restore it with your other car parts,

rather than purchase JY parts and add them to your car...

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

But a 2 wheel drive has cheaper insurance, and they, the insurance companies won't give you the 2wd rate on a 4wd ser.# even if you change trans,

I think there is also some "beatin" required to allow clearance for some rear drive train parts.

Do a search, it's been done many-a-time.

I'd also agree that is may be cheaper to just buy one and restore it with your other car parts,

rather than purchase JY parts and add them to your car...

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester