Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this normal?

Oil in the intake is "normal" and by that i guess its so common nobody cares anymore, everyone's doing it!!

You might try to change the PCV valve, with an OEM Subaru one, but if that dosn't work it's probably your valve seals, which unless you really are concerned, i wouldn't worry about it.

Your backfireing is from leaks in your exhaust... any leak forward of the y-pipe will cause backfireing on a stock EA81. You can either fix all the exhaust leaks, or cap off the AIS reed valves (put a quarter in the pipe and screw it back on). Either one should fix the problem... personally I do both, but I leave the AIS disabled (or removed in my case) as it serves no purpose other than injecting O2 into the cat (which I also removed), and the reed valves tend to fail catostrophically and make a huge mess of your carb with melted plastic from the silencers.

There is also an anti-backfire solenoid up near the firewall on the drivers side.... that is a red herring tho - I've messed with it a good deal, and I beleive it is there to prevent slight backfireing due to the EGR when decelerating.... at any rate it's not the problem you are looking for. I have removed most of that stuff

Your backfireing is from leaks in your exhaust... any leak forward of the y-pipe will cause backfireing on a stock EA81. You can either fix all the exhaust leaks, or cap off the AIS reed valves (put a quarter in the pipe and screw it back on). Either one should fix the problem... personally I do both, but I leave the AIS disabled (or removed in my case) as it serves no purpose other than injecting O2 into the cat (which I also removed), and the reed valves tend to fail catostrophically and make a huge mess of your carb with melted plastic from the silencers.

There is also an anti-backfire solenoid up near the firewall on the drivers side.... that is a red herring tho - I've messed with it a good deal, and I beleive it is there to prevent slight backfireing due to the EGR when decelerating.... at any rate it's not the problem you are looking for. I have removed most of that stuff

No exhaust leaks that I can identify. I HAVE NOT done the timing, and will adjust it when I get a light. I don't want to plug the AIS valve b/c I still need to get emmissions done. I think timing is probably the most likely culprit.

Jordan