Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinion what do u think?? ea81 vs spfi ea82

I have a 1984 subaru wagon 4x4 4 speed Hi/lo with like no rust.. Im kind of running the idea of selling it and getting maybe a 1988 ea82 4x4 Hi/lo... What would you guys do... I kinda wish my wagon had some more power and I was wondering if the 88 model spfi would be better for me... The thing is I have a spare ea81 motor with like around 100K and two spare trans with around the same miles... What do you guys think??? And what would the 84 be worth??? Just kicking the idea around and need some opinions... Joe

the 84' would probably be worth a decent amount - I don't know a # to give you

how mechanical are you?? - it is possible to convert the 84' to the same SPFI the 88' has, even thought they are slightly different motors - the advantage to the 84' is that because it is an EA81, there are no timing belts, and there is more low-end torque - you would have to machine the SPFI CAS (distributor) to fit, and there may be some small issues getting the intake manifold to fit - you would have to replace all fuel lines, and I don't know how the air box would work out - it would be a difficult conversion

the SPFI system is GREAT - I converted my 85' (EA82) and I couldn't be more pleased with the performance - FI is the way to go for sure, there is a LOT more power, even on the same engine - if you converted the EA81, you would kinda have the best of both worlds - SPFI performance on an EA81 - no constant Disty/carb adjustments - just put the key in and turn

the 88' isn't bad car/year either - just make sure it IS rust free as well, and that the T-belts are fairly new, maitnence has been done, etc, etc ....

I have a 1984 subaru wagon 4x4 4 speed Hi/lo with like no rust.. Im kind of running the idea of selling it and getting maybe a 1988 ea82 4x4 Hi/lo... What would you guys do... I kinda wish my wagon had some more power and I was wondering if the 88 model spfi would be better for me... The thing is I have a spare ea81 motor with like around 100K and two spare trans with around the same miles... What do you guys think??? And what would the 84 be worth??? Just kicking the idea around and need some opinions... Joe

My opinion:

Sell me the 84 with the spare engine and trannys for $700 and go and get that 88.. :brow:

Not a bad idea... just that Im not that great of a wrench to do a spfi conversion.

As far as the 700 bucks goes... I paid more for the car when I purchased it.. And the extra engine cost some more also.. I could never let it go for 700...

But Thanks for the offer..

<Stares down from a high branch like a vulture>

Those wouldn't happen to be nice tan bucket seats in that wagon would they? ;)

Try a Weber carb on that EA-81 if you haven't yet. You will get a modeset power gain. Also if you get a higher end ignition your low RPM torque will surpass the EA-82. That EA-81 is a great engine to learn basic mechanics on, it's such a clean and simple rugged design for a watercooler. Also if they don't check emissions in your area, that cat converter on there steals some power! :D and if your really looking to get every ounce out, and have AC but don't use it. I would suggest removing it. If you take that EA-81 block into a machine shop and have them deck the heads 15 hudredths of and inch you can reliably gain around 10 horse power by upping your compression ratio. You can also have those heads ported. I've heard rumors that delta cams, can grind you a better cam. Though I have had no luck getting one myself yet.

If your really RICH and have bags of money, you can go to RAM engines, they make a 140 horse power/140lb torque dual port MPFI version of the EA-81. It's a bolt in that will give you more power than an EA-82 turbo :D

PEace, Fishums

Well, I had two EA81's, and two EA82's (one SPFI, and one Carbed), and I can say that the EA82SPFI has more power for sure. I still think the EA81 had more torque at low rpms though. I personally like the EA81 body a little more for offroading, and stylistically. And the EA81 engine is simpler, though to be honest, the EA82 isn't bad either. I'd go for an EA82SPFI with the 5 speed dual range, in an EA81 body if I were you.

How many miles are on your EA81? If it's rust free and shiny, and runs good, I think it could go for at least $1200 -- maybe more depending on low miles. Rusty old ones needing work are between $200 and $800.