Ultimate Subaru Message Board

leaking dual sunroof revisited

The dual sunroofs of my 02 OBW have been leaking small amounts of water into the overhead reading lights near the rear view mirror for the last month or so. It never amounts to much, just 4 or 5 drops onto your lap when you turn a corner, but eventually it would have mildewed and discoloured the headliner. Anyway, for those who have followed my thread on this topic, Brus Brother gave me a heads up on a TSB on the problem, which I followed up on with my dealership today. Looking at the photos in the TSB shows that the area where the water is getting into the car is just about an inch before the front corners of the rear sunroof. With the sunroof fully open, you can see where the roof skin has been rolled into the sunroof opening and a sealant applied at the factory after it was spot welded. The TSB photos show that sealant is missing on some cars. In my case the sealant is there, and it has been painted over at the factory. A very close inspection of the area shows fine spider cracking in the paint over the sealant. Water was getting into these fine cracks by capillary action and following the reinforcement braces of the roof all the way to the front overhead lights. Roughing up the area with sandpaper and resealing the area has fixed the problem. When the weather warms up I'll repaint the sealant, even though it can't be seen unless you lean over the roof and look into the open sunroof. As far as my front sunroof binding when being opened and refusing to open all the way, the Tech found that the front track assembly for the front sunroof was stripped on one side. A new one is on order to the tune of $214. Lesson here ..... Don't try to open the sunroof if there is a possibility that it may be frozen shut. I obviously stripped mine. Hope this helps someone else.

brus brother,

I concur with your idea, however the TSB photo actually shows the 2000 OBW sunroof opening, and the area where the sealant was missing, because none had been put there at the factory. I believe on my 02 OBW the factory did do the sealant properly at the same spot, but the sealant must have shrunk somewhat to cause the spider cracking in the paint that ultimately drew the water into the seam. Regardless, thanks again for the heads up! It was driving me crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't try to open the sunroof if there is a possibility that it may be frozen shut. I obviously stripped mine. Hope this helps someone else.

Having a roof rack cross bar too far forward, to the point where the front tilt up panel hits it, can strip both sides instantly. I found this out the hard way too.

Jack