Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power mods, how much power per mod

I was thinking the other day, how much power does the Air con use?

Then i thought, what if somebody dyno'd to see?

And then i thought, has anybody dyno'd after every mod they have done to show how much power each mod makes?

Somebody has prob mentioned this before but if there was a thread or chart that showed the power gain per mod, it would be cool

Gannon

there is some dyno information here, but not a ton. do a search for dyno and see what you come up with. myxphlyx has done a good bit of dyno's with intakes and exhaust and so has WJM, with varying setups.

i removed the a/c compressor and didn't notice anything while driving in terms of gas mileage or power. (on an XT6).

BobBrumby is right - I doubt you will see ANY difference at the dyno between having A/C on the car, and not (as long as the compressor is turned off - I agree it would be interesting to see what the power draw is switched on vs. switched off for the A/C system - I know the compressor does draw a good amount of hp when running) - The only reason to actually take the A/C system off the car is for weight, and that has nothing to do with dyno results.

WJM, JWX, and several others have done modding, and shown dyno results depicting their hp gains - search, and you will see what has the most effect on performance - off the top of my head, I think the TD04 turbo, intercooler, and bigger injectors made the most difference (along with catback exhaust) - and the difference was substantial. The guys are also running a spider intake manifold off a 87-later N/A XT (not 6).

i removed the a/c compressor and didn't notice anything while driving in terms of gas mileage or power. (on an XT6).

I am glad you mentioned this Gary as I was thinking of eventually totally removing my A/C system on my XT6. I thought the turning of the compressor will was parasitic loss. Guess not! Thanks!

Don't forget mods can preduce more power if other mods are on as well. As in, if you put a pod filter on you may get just say 3hp. If you go for exhaust you may get 7hp, but if you have both it will more likely be more then 10hp gain. As there is much better flow right the way thru the engine. I dout you'd get more then 10hp from a pod filter and a 2 and a half inch pipe though.

You would probably want to do a port and polish, though this costs an arm and a leg. And doing it your self is a bad idea as it needs to be the right finish

What I would like to do to a EA81 is put in a stroker kit and maybe use the SUB4 dual port in and out heads. But thats just dreaming.

_________

little Brat

www.offroadingsubarus.com