Ultimate Subaru Message Board

leveling out a gen 2 brat (front end only lift)

is there any easy way to level out a brat with just a front 1-2 inch lift? i don`t want to go full front to back, just a front lift. is there any struts i can swap or would i need to make lift blocks for the strut tops? what else would need altering? the reason i ask is, i want a solid daily driver/weekend offroader, but i hate having the back end up in the air, and the front end sunk low, i just want it level, and still keeping the 13`s on it.thanks in advance,

Jon

Just put about 300 lbs. of sandbags in the bed.

:lol::grin::drunk:

i really don`t want to mess with the torsion bars, because of the offroading factor, this thing is going to be a beast offroader, just not full lifted because i need it for daily driving. i guess 1" lift blocks are the way to go.

what type of material would i need to get for the lift blocks (metal of coarse)?

I'm not sure the lift will work without some sort of strut top extension. Lifting blocks alone may simply lower your engine and drivetrain, decreasing ground clearance while keeping the ride height basically the same.

Here's an idea for lowering the rear end without changing the stiffness of the torsion bar: How about lifting blocks on the front two bolts of the torsion bar only. Theoretically this would angle the trailing arms upward dropping the rear end.

As for material for 1" lift blocks... the first thing that comes to mind is hockey pucks. Second is solid aluminum.

i see what you are saying, i suppose a body lift on the front would be okay also, just to level it out some. hockey pucks seem like a pretty good idea, the solid rubber type, then again, if the give out at all on top of the struts, the bolts might loosen. where could i buy some solid 1-2 inch aluminum? is it easy to cut it with the usual tools? (sawsall, jig saw, grinder, etc?)

Aluminum is real easy to cut. It may be expensive and hard to find though. If you are going to go up to 2" I would suggest going with 3/16" thick 2" box steel tubing. Lifting the crossmember and tranny will be easy. just cut 10 2"x2" blocks with your sawsall or chop saw and drill 1/2" holes through the centers. Go with grade 8 bolts. Also your steering shaft may need to be lengthened.

The strut tops will be a pain. You have to extend the strut, but you also have to angle them just right so as to preserve stock camber. Maybe just see if you can order a custom set from AA. They could probably also do your steering shaft.