Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT/Vortex Shocks

Hey, I have a friend who is looking into buying an '85-'87 Vortex (XT).

All it needs is four new shocks as the current ones are leaking, something along those lines anyway.

My questions though is what other ea82 vehicles can these parts be sourced from, as these are really rare here.

I think its either the pushbutton 4wd or the fulltime awd with the difflock.

turbo baby!:brow:

Thanks all.

Yes, L-series shocks and struts are a direct bolt-in, but they will lift the car. Closest you can get to original XT equipment is front struts from a 2WD L-series sedan or coupe, and rear struts from a 4WD sedan and coupe. The car will still sit too high, but shouldn't have any drivability issues.

Yes, L-series shocks and struts are a direct bolt-in, but they will lift the car. Closest you can get to original XT equipment is front struts from a 2WD L-series sedan or coupe, and rear struts from a 4WD sedan and coupe. The car will still sit too high, but shouldn't have any drivability issues.

Oh wait, Just sedan and coupe, not wagons?

Ok, found another thing it need.

The current owner has lost the keys.....

So looks like were gonna need to replace the locks too.

would this be an alright donor car for the shocks, and all the locks?

Just bouncing ideas round now. Looks like I'm pitching in to buy it aswell. Theres three of us buying it. I can't wait!

read the keycode off one of the lock cylinders in the door (really easy to do) and they can cut you a new key from that.

remove two screws, pop the interior door trim panel off and you can see the lock cylinder. takes like a screwdriver to get it out, that's about it as far as i can remember. was really easy to remove. if you try hard enough you might even be able to see the 4 or 5 digit code without removing it. either way, that code is all you need.

in the states, the dealer usually enters the VIN and key code with the sale of every car (at least that's how they used to do it back then). unless the salesman was lazy and didn't enter that in, a phone call to the dealer can often get you the key code with just the VIN number. i've done that on a number of occassions. might be different since you're in another country, but i'd call that's the easiest solution.

So theres no chance we can swap the ignition, boot and door locks from a wagon...?

you can, but you can cut a key much quicker than swapping all those parts. i'd much rather make one phone call, one stop at the dealer or read 5 numbers than doing all that work. swapping ignition is a pain, requires a good deal of work and drilling out the bolt (right angle drill helps sometimes with this).

if you do that, you won't have a key for the rear seat lock.

you could drain the trans oil, measure how much is in there to see how much you need to replace. then have it analyzed at a chemistry lab to see what kind of oil is in there to determine what kind you should use. or you can ask someone who knows or look it up in a book, much easier that way.

you could drain the trans oil, measure how much is in there to see how much you need to replace. then have it analyzed at a chemistry lab to see what kind of oil is in there to determine what kind you should use. or you can ask someone who knows or look it up in a book, much easier that way.

Pardon?

Thanks guys, Ill try and keep things posted on how it all goes and what we end up doing.