Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things maybe looking up finally.

Today I went and checked out a different junkyard, still in search of a useable engine block. This yard isnt a Pick-n-pull, its mire privately operated. They sort their cars by Domestic, Import & Trucks, but thats about it. I found 4 Subaru's there, and one was an XT I didnt see there before (saw the other 3 on my last visit a while back)

At 1st glance, I thought the XT would be turbo. Since it had a hood scoop, and little rubber boots behind each of the doors. But when I lifted the hood, I saw a N/A MPFI Setup, no turbo. When I pulled the heads and rotated the crank a couple times I was conviced it was up to the job. Unbolted it and me and my buddy lifted the shortblock out of the XT into our wheelbarrow and went off. Was able to keep the flywheel, pulleys, oil pump & water pump on and the guy behind the counter only charged me $85 for a shortblock.

The body had 150k on it, but i dont believe this is the original engine. Pistons verify the engine itself is N/A, but it has the PCV in the back of the block that all N/A XT's had. Either or, all 4 pistons looked to be in very good condition with little buildup on them, and none of the piston sleeves had any huge gouges in em ;)

According to the machinist I hired to work on my heads, they should be completed by Tuesday or Wednesday and I will be able to pick them up this weekend. Tomorrow I plan on removing the Saab 900 Intercooler i have in the engine bay. I got a new pnumatic die grinder and I think its time to shave some excess metal from the spare tire area and mount up a hood scoop.

Pictures and more details as they become available :brow:

-Brian

Nice goin' Brian..all without having to deal with the idiots on 80 over Donner. Would've been cool to hang with ya though. Next time, I guess.

I just had a thought. Since you doubt that engine is original, there's the small possibility it could be one of those "used JDM engines". Not sure about Subaru, but many years ago I replaced the 20R in an old Celica with one of those JDM engines, and it was actually a 21R. Everything fit and worked great, but there were a few minor differences, the one I remember most was the oil dipstick was on the other side. A couple of other minor things, but just a little odd (and what Subaru isn't a little odd to begin with:lol: ?).

My 2 bucks

No EJ for me until i get another Legacy or an impreza Will. And, i left the heads behind, why would i want some junkyard heads when im spending all this money to have my RX heads rebuilt??

Dave and Jibs... we'll definatly get together once the RX is running. Hopefully there will still be some snow in the mountains and we can do some boarding/skiing.

-Brian

Curious did the XT motor have the spider intake, or the regular one. I saw a turbo xt and got all excited only to find out that it had the regular intake?

How will the smog people react if it IS a spider intake?

Good luck with the new motor.

Yes, had a complete N/A Spyder setup. I was kinda harsh on it while removing it, so some of the hoses and wiring maybe damaged... but everything else was there. Injecters are no good now either :-p

There was a storm rolling in, and I was just eager to get the block out of the car and get home with it. Me and my buddy managed to pull everything off the block and have it out in less than 2 hours with just handtools.

I was thinking of heading back and stashing the intake somewhere safe, and the front struts as well. It was a 2WD XT :brow:

-Brian

Went out and put the engine on the engine stand. I used some orange hand cleaner and one of these scrub pads i bought... and cleaned the surface of the pistons pretty good.

You can see the piston on the left, and the one on the right I had already scrubbed:

DSC00683.sized.jpg

Instead of clogging the forum with all the images, you can goto the gallery and view them all.

http://gallery.usmb.net/album46

-Brian

Gotta love that orange hand cleaner huh? I used it to degrease my axle after pulling it out (it was coved in engine oil because my exhaust stud was leaking -some of you may remember that horra I had- )

So the pistons in the N/A blocks are different to turbo ones? Are you going to run the turbo? I haven't really been following your posts about ur RX junkie, sorry if I missed anything. So you'll have it running before friday then? :P:)

Looks like the race is on Russ!!

Soobscript, im not 100% sure what the CR is. If you ask WJM you get one answer, you ask Caleb you get another answer. I do know, they are not turbo pistons. The turbo pistons are dished to allow the lower compression.

Phiz, i will be running the turbo... yes :) I wont be running alot of boost. I was thinking of modifying my wastegate to actually run LESS boost than stock, then having a dual stage MBC to make more boost if/when i really want or need it. We'll see what happens, i have to get it running again first.

-Brian