Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Differences between ea81/ea82 EJ Motor. loyale?? dual range trans/ push button 5 spd?

I currently own a ea81 car with the dual range trans. I would like to upgrade to something newer ( more power) but dont know if I should consider a ea82 with dual range or is there another subie with a dual range with a different motor???

I have no clue what car had a 2.2 motor and so on... EJ was in what??

I see a 94 Loyale on ebay with a 1.8 motor and 5 speed push button trans. How is this subie comapred to the dual range???

I dont go off roading but end up driving in all kinds of bad weather. The boss says "no excuse not to show to work" 48 miles away just because ther is 8 inches of snow...

So what do you guys suggest???

1985-1989 Gl`s were available with 5sp mt d/r 4wd

1990-94 loyales had 5sp single range pushbutton

1990-94 legacies had a "bulletproof" ej22 with 5 speed full time or push button, non interference engine

a 5 speed d/r can be adapted into your wagon, you won`t notice much of a power increase with an ea82. ej22`s had nice power but no low range.

if you're worried about snow, get snow tires they are excellent. i'd get them and go from there if you want "more". they should treat you quite well though.

EA82T, good power (easy to modify for good gains), gas mileage and the 4WD yo'ure looking for. you can get a dual range if you'd like that option.

the XT6 has 6 cylinders and 4 wheel drive. has the center diff lock button, excellent in the snow. 145 horsepower, alot more than the EA81 and EA82's, center diff lock (awesome offroad and in the snow), and gets 26-28 mpg on the highway! excellent stats for a 6 cylinder and the reliability of the EA82 since it's based on the same design (same pistons, rods, bearings, valves, etc). the automatic XT6 even gets 28 mpg (all highway).

you want to be able to lock front to rear (center diff). you can install a switch on any automatic, so any automatic 4EAT could be installed with a switch to lock the rear transfer clutch, giving you a "locked" 4WD front to rear. i have that with rear LSD on my automatic XT6 and it rocks in the snow. add snow tires and you're golden.

there's never a substitute for safe driving in the snow...except maybe tracks!