Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it poss. to put xt6 in 88 dl wagon

has anyone done this? I have access to a motor and tranny from a xt6.

OK...for those of us who know less than the rest of you, how large is that engine? horsepower? how difficult is this conversion? Any benefits other than more power? do mounts need to be changed? Thanks

(got an 85 Brat)

I knew about that brat, i don't know how it slipped my mind. Thats a nice brat too, and i remember, theres another one on the west coast too.

I guess Adams Brat slipped your mind too :-p

The HP rating for the ER27 is 145hp. Probably the most difficult engine to transplant into another Soob. Better off going with the EJ.

since you need the electrical to go along with the motor, you might as well throw the EJ in there. you get to keep the radiator in the stock place. that is so cool that someone would put a ER27 in their EA82 wagon, much props for that. but if you want a little less displacement, and almost the same horsepower and torque numbers, go with the EJ. you wont regret it. but if you have the XT6 motor and tranny and all that stuff. throw the 5-lug into your car along with the XT6 motor. but its going to be hard, and frustrating, but WELL worth it in the end. im reminded every time i shift gears how much it was worth it. it helped SO much this past weekend while i was at Mt. Bachelor.

~Josh~

As neat as the ER27 is, as mentioned, the EJ is a much better swap if you're looking for any of the practical attributes that make up a car. It's more reliable, easier to work on, easier to find parts for, and just an all-around great engine. The ER27 is just 1.5 EA82s, and has the same issues, only in an even bigger package. Mounting the radiator is difficult, and I'd hate to try to cram a wrench into that engine bay.

it's not a plug-and-play ordeal, so if you're looking for something simple the ER27 (XT6 engine) isn't the answer. i agree with the EJ22 comments being a better option.

i disagree with reliability comments on the ER27. i've owned over 10 of them, regrease the timing pulleys, install new timing belt and water pump (all things you'd do to any engine including the EJ22) and it won't break down with proper maintenance. that being said it is more difficult to find a good condition ER27 because they are older and are more than likely to have been abused, maintained poorly, overheated, rotted out radiators that have run the motor hot, etc. if you're picking random motors, you'll have better luck finding a good EJ22 in that regard.