Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace tranny or no....

82 wagon w/3" BYB lift.

No engine, no radiator, no battery

Trans questionable

background:

prev owner blew reverse in tranny.

he replaced tranny with a known good tranny from me... ('84, unknown mileage, was in my old black 84 Turbo Brat, worked good)

this trans would pop out of gear when it was in 4WD.

... and before he parked it, was bogging, and didn't want to move..

currently:

I now am the owner of wagon for the second time.

had some concerns about situation, but after doing the motor swap (fee for the free wagon), I discovered that the engine that was in this wagon, had a huge vac leak. there was a big fitting behind the carb, slightly to the drivers side of the intake manifold, and the vac cap had cracked/split wide open, so there was a sizeable hole (nearly a quarter inch) of a vac leak.

this would seem to me, very good reason for his running problem....

when I previously owned this vehicle, I had same issue of popping out of gear while in 4WD, because it's a full 3" lift, even at radius rod blocks, and the floor hole was not modified to accomodate the greater movement...

I have a spare tranny from a '86 brat. I never drove it, but was driven to my house by prev owner before I parted out the brat...

I think the trans in the wagon4 is still good, and I just need to make sure the linkage is able to freely move where it needs to....

I hate tranny swaps, but since the engine and rad are out right now, it'd make it easier...

what say the masses?

Nice little quandry you have there Mick, tranny swaps are a pain, in any vehicle. Ifin it were me, I'd probally swap trannies just to on the , ahem, safer side. But with that said, I'd probally do some shifter modding before the donor trans went in. If you move the attachment point of the shifter rod, up the shifter lever, you'd get a shorter throw shifter out of it. Can't say how much to move it really, but an inch would make quite a difference, two inches would be an even greater difference.

Just curious if you might have the same problem with your tranny as me ... I have mine pop out of gear when I'm really trying to wring-out the motor if I am in four low, and it turns out it's JUST (I say "just" :rolleyes: ly ) the tranny mounts ... I was feeling pretty dumb once Nels figured that out for me watching my tranny do the side to side mombo when I put it into 4 low :drunk: especially since I was already told that this needed to be done, I am just not sure that $80 each mount is worth it for new ... I just need to get a hand from the guys at my fav JY and have them put one of the subie's on the front-end loader so I can get to some ... and then I have to put them DOH! :banghead::horse:

either way, I'll attend to the hole in the floor, but seeing as how it used to do that to me before (Zap was with me one time at the cabin when it did it)

that I think the tranny is still good...

and I'll bet the tranny mounts are in need of some urethane :)

first off, I'd crawl under there and shake the crap outta the tailshaft of the tranny while watching the mounts. They probably need to be replaced since well they all have a tendency of breaking apart as you would know. Second, I would look into modifying the linkage hole in the trans tunnel to acommidate for the extra throw of the shifter, which would also lead to the popping outta gear. Or, swap a 5-speed into it and call it good:brow: