Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!! Car died today = P

Ok i was driving down the interstate all was good then my car started bucking a little and and acting like it was having a fuel problem. Im not sure if this has happened to any of you before but you think its the pump? I have a feeling im going to be dropping the tank = \. A guy on the new gen forum told me that it might be the fuel filter because the same thing happened to him and it fixed it? If so i probable want to try that since its cheaper and i need to get my ride back on the road asap. Just got my KYB Forester Struts today btw = ) hoping to put them on the weekend.

Oh yes and where is the fuel filter located in this thing? How much of a job do you think it is going to be for me to do it? I wasnt sure where it was i figured it might be part of the assembly on the tank somewhere but i could be wrong. I couldnt find a manual on it and 94 Impreza L is new to me all i know before this is Rx7. Just happened today btw

Ok i was driving down the interstate all was good then my car started bucking a little and and acting like it was having a fuel problem. Im not sure if this has happened to any of you before but you think its the pump? I have a feeling im going to be dropping the tank = \. A guy on the new gen forum told me that it might be the fuel filter because the same thing happened to him and it fixed it? If so i probable want to try that since its cheaper and i need to get my ride back on the road asap. Just got my KYB Forester Struts today btw = ) hoping to put them on the weekend.

Oh yes and where is the fuel filter located in this thing? How much of a job do you think it is going to be for me to do it? I wasnt sure where it was i figured it might be part of the assembly on the tank somewhere but i could be wrong. I couldnt find a manual on it and 94 Impreza L is new to me all i know before this is Rx7. Just happened today btw

Not to be a smart@ss, but I don't suppose you checked to see if the car had fuel did you?

I'm more familiar with trucks, but the principles are the same:

Check your fuel pressure. Autzone has rental fuel pressure testers. Not sure on the specifics, but idle fuel pressure -should- be in the range of 35-45psi, a little higher with the throttle open or the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator. If the pressure is low, try changing the fuel filter. IIRC, it's right near the tank on that car. If the pressure reading goes up, and the stumble/dying problem goes away, that was it. If the pressure doesn't change, then it very well may be the pump.