Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new fairbanks member..hello..and problem

so...a dilemma i have, i recently bought a 1987 4x4 gl wagon, 120,000 miles, 3 speed AT that had been driven hard into something...other than the accident damage, perfect body...slightly calico with a mismatched hood..but... i repaired the accident damage...front left side strut rod and mounting bracket, and rim. after driving it around for a few weeks, and feeling what i can only describe as squirrely when in 4x4...the transmission has failed catastrophically. what the garage where it now sits has told me is that it spun the differential out of the case.

what i'm wondering is what the life span of these auto transmissions can typically be, and what is going to be my best course of action. would it be advisable to put in a used..unknown condition jy auto transmission? what would it take to stick a 5 speed in..pedals/clutch..rear diff?...etc...?

also..fairbanks, ak people..i know there's a few here...any hot leads on good transmissions?

thanks..

Hello fello Alaskan, I have a 3sp tranny that i might be willing to sell dirt cheap. It's in a 1990 Loyale, same thing as yours. If you are going to be doing any kind of crazy wheeling I'd be swapping in a 5sp d/r. I also have an 87 5sp d/r that I'm swaping out in the spring. Later.

so...a dilemma i have, i recently bought a 1987 4x4 gl wagon, 120,000 miles, 3 speed AT that had been driven hard into something...other than the accident damage, perfect body...slightly calico with a mismatched hood..but... i repaired the accident damage...front left side strut rod and mounting bracket, and rim. after driving it around for a few weeks, and feeling what i can only describe as squirrely when in 4x4...the transmission has failed catastrophically. what the garage where it now sits has told me is that it spun the differential out of the case.

what i'm wondering is what the life span of these auto transmissions can typically be, and what is going to be my best course of action. would it be advisable to put in a used..unknown condition jy auto transmission? what would it take to stick a 5 speed in..pedals/clutch..rear diff?...etc...?

also..fairbanks, ak people..i know there's a few here...any hot leads on good transmissions?

thanks..

crown loyale...what can you tell me about your transmission..miles, still in car, operational..? and what's dirt cost in anchorage these days? so are you taking out a 5 sp or putting it in?

Hello fello Alaskan, I have a 3sp tranny that i might be willing to sell dirt cheap. It's in a 1990 Loyale, same thing as yours. If you are going to be doing any kind of crazy wheeling I'd be swapping in a 5sp d/r. I also have an 87 5sp d/r that I'm swaping out in the spring. Later.

I totally forgot Troxxx is up there. Sorry about that. My Trans has 115,000mi with no problems. Silky smooth and no leaks. This wouldn't be ready until we thaw out a bit. Pluse dirt is cheap but the closer the dirt is the cheaper it is. Northguy is right, talk to Troxxx. Later.

Welcome to the board. Torxxx is your connection for a tranny in Fairbanks. Be patient - pm him - and he'll hook you up.

ohhhh man the ice track..this brings up a whole new set of questions...i have only driven by...how's the access? is 4x4 a necessity? i am relatively new to the world of subaru, but am still deeply entrenched in a fleet of old saabs...vintage ice machines. .. .. .does anyone run the super meaty ice tires? menards i think?

nah. you can 2wd all the way to the track. I ran the track last year with 3 different sizes of tires. I like the 155/70/13s that I had. lots of wheel spin for drifting corners. Studs or no studs will work. it all depends on how you drive. Last year I drove the track like Tycho does this year. He's nuts!

Now that I have my lift on, I gotta take it slow (snapped rear struts=wicked body roll).

The shop is right down the street from the track, so when you stop by tommorow, we'll roll out there in my car if ya want.