Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you know if a DL is Fuel injected?

I think the only place you could tell is by looking at the engine.

Pop the hood; if you see a lima bean shaped metal air filter housing on top of the engine, it's carburated.

If you see a tube going from the passenger side to the top of the engine, it's fuel injected. (it usually says Subaru FI or such on the tube)

why do you think it needs a new fuel pump?

all 1985 GL-10 FWD cars were MPFI - for that matter, Subaru called the trim lines differently in 1985 from all other years - all GL-10's were FWD, with MPFI engines, all Turbos were 4WD, with the same trim as the GL-10 (maybe some minor differences, but they are almost identical) it was not until 1986 that a car was both labled GL-10 and Turbo - all 4WD/FWD GL's could get ~90% of the options that the GL-10's had - IE digidash, power everything, sunroof .... - the only thing that really set the GL-10's apart was the MPFI system - SPFI did not come out until 1986, and that displaced the MPFI system in 2WD GL-10's

I think that it was not until 1988 that all carbs were dropped from the GL/DL (Justy still kept them for a couple years) - I got my FI system for my 1985 off a 1988 DL wagon.

Part of this story is also that the car has been in a barn for 5 1/2 yrs. It will start by spraying carb. cleaner into the carb. but it will not stay started.

We took off the filter and tried to start the car. No fuel came out of the pump.

usually fuel pump problems are actually fuel filter problems - people forget that they need to be changed periodically, and eventually they clog up - it is easy enough to do

Part of this story is also that the car has been in a barn for 5 1/2 yrs. It will start by spraying carb. cleaner into the carb. but it will not stay started.

We took off the filter and tried to start the car. No fuel came out of the pump.

what kind of carb cleaner are you using? All the carb cleaner I've seen stalls the engine out. try pouring a lil gas down the throat. carbs need priming sometimes when they have sat for a while. You may need to pour fuel into it for 15 to 30 seconds to get it to take a full pull on the fuel lines.