Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Damned siamesed intake design-

Got the car running great, it finally idles down, stopped burning oil, all the electrical has come back to life, then I comeout to a 6" green puddle under the car. The right hand intake leg has started leaking coolant at the base gasket. It doesn't seem to be burning any yet, just leaking to the outside.

So, I am now taking all bets, how many of the six bolts will break?

a great thing to do when you go to put the intake back on it get new bolts or use a wire wheel on the current ones. I would go with new myself since the originals probably already have some rust eating away at them. Then get a bottle of antisieze, the stuff that EVERYONE should be using on their sparkplugs, and put a little on the threads. It will make you life sooooo much easier if you have to do this down the road... or the next Sube nut that gets ahold of your car.

Antiseize is great, but DONT use the silver on spark plugs. Use the Copper on the spark plugs, and the silver for everything else.

We learned the hard way at the shop that the silver doesnt give a good ground for the spark plugs. We bought a round of copper for all the techs, and we stopped having misfire problems.

Alex (at D&S harley)

What about doing it with the engine semi-warm? When I broke the pivot ball off, I welded a washer onto it, and it came out with finger pressure.

As far as anti-seize, for something like this I use Magnalube G. It's a teflon based lube, I have used it for tons of stuff, including exhaust/intake bolts on my old 300-6, and they just spin out, no rust.