Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T headstuds once again!

SO after the whole 600 bucks for a single set of ARP headstuds, I've been looking into possibly going a different route for them. I'm thinking about redrilling the block and tapping it for maybe a standard thread pitch possibly? Also, doesn't seem like heat treating is all that hard to do but I'm going to give it a shot. All this work will be done on a toasted EA82T block so no worries about wrecking a good block or anything. Also, if I can get me a good set of headstuds, would copper headgaskets work then seeing I would be able to torque the heads on tighter?

You could put any kind of stud in that you want. You still can't put much more steam on them because the threads in the aluminum block can still only hold about 65 ft.lbs and the stock headbolts can exceed twice that without deformation. You might try JB Weld or a thread locking compound, but I doubt that you can improve the holding power of an aluminum block very much.

You could put any kind of stud in that you want. You still can't put much more steam on them because the threads in the aluminum block can still only hold about 65 ft.lbs and the stock headbolts can exceed twice that without deformation. You might try JB Weld or a thread locking compound, but I doubt that you can improve the holding power of an aluminum block very much.

Well Said. Thats the biggest thing about these Aluminum blocks. It'd help if Fuji Industries had developed the older engines with steel inserts for the head bolts to thread in to.

Studs do hold on better - simply because they are already locked in place in the block when you torque the head - easier to strip a thread when tightening a fastener than to pull it straight out.