Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why NAPA EXhaust gaskets SUCK!

agreed on the torquing aspect. i've had subaru gaskets do the same thing if the exhaust isn't bolted up tight (like on something i fabricated). but on good, tight connections i've reused the old exhaust gaskets before with no problems. i've reused the exhaust manifold gaskets before that looked terrible but didn't leak. but i've also installed new gaskets with stripped out head studs that leaked in well under a year.

seems any small leakage will cause the gasket to degrade quick. heat i guess?

Heres a question while on the topic of exhaust gaskets. I removed my ASB plates from the block, because I no longer use the 3/4 pipe that comes off of both sides with my custom carb job. The only issues is, what kind of gasket/way of mounting these headers should I go about instead? This is an EA-81 block btw. Any ideas? suggestions?

I was thinking of just flaring some pipe and using the stock oval two stud bracer, and gasket. then just tighten them right down on the block.... It's just such soft metal I don't know if I can tighten it enough to stop it from leaking.

Um maybe a dumb question but are those exhaust manifold gaskets or just gaskets down the exhaust somewhere? Im hoping that mine wont look like that once i get my exhaust leak fixed. My care is loud as all hell right now because both..count em both! exhaust manifold gaskets blew out. Good stuff.

I used a gasket from carquest for the exhaust headers. part number is 12284

they are the same size as subaru oem gaskets but they are about 2 or 3 times as thick with metal on both sides and then fiber or something in the middle. I've had NO problems with them blowing out

just a helpful tip for all, do not buy the regular exhaust gaskets for a carbed or spfi engine aftermarket, they usually come looking like a piece of paper with a metal ring in the center.. they always blow out..

instead get gaskets for say a 90 loyale rs turbo.. they are made of the same material as like a headgasket.. all metal/lead fiber.. they fit the same and don't blow out.. and they are like $9 from advance for a set.. just my input

torxx, just called carquest, they said that wasnt one of their part #'s, said it should have some letters or something. Could you double check that #? i really need to replace my gaskets.

yeah thats the ones that I get from carquest. They told me they fit one year of soobs but they didnt know which one. #12284 at Carquest .