Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch Problems...UH OH...

Okay, I need some input on what the solution might be to my problems...

I was going to take the old hatch to the shop, but most of you guys know more about Subes than most of the mechanics I know.

(Bear with me here, my knowledge is basically NONE with these things)

So...

I got some sort of problem with my back wheels slowing down, then locking up (at random) when I am driving--it's scary as heck and probably wreaking some serious havoc on my rubber. I was thinking wheel bearings, what do you guys think?

Also, I she's leaking brake fluid like a sieve. What are the possible causes/fixes for that? I thought maybe master cylinder? (Hope not, that's expensive...)

Brake fluid causes brake pads to swell and make them very grabby i would bet you have a leak near the rear wheels(as in where they go into the backing plate(wheel cylinder) or that the rear wheel cylinders are leaking. and causing them to lock up.

take the big nut off the center of the rear wheel. tape the end of the axle with a big punch (socket) just make sure you dont mess up the heads or hit it hard enough to mushroom the end. this will brake the cone washer loose then pull the brake drum off and see. (make shure the ebrake is off)

the best deal is to get a disk conversion and put it on. it will be a little easyer then trying to serivace the rear brakes. but dont wory with a little bit of work you can get them going again...

You are looking for an ea82 turbo or gl-10 car including XT but not the XT-6 And you need everything.. rotor calipers backing plate and (I think but am not positive) The bake line Might be one of those cut it off 6 inch away things and crimp it to keep out contaminates.

Find a car with rear disks (any turbo, some GL-10s, some XT4s, any RX). Take the hub, rotor, caliper, old pads, AND backing plate. I also disconnect the brakeline near the rear swingarm so I can re-use the old brakeline. Save all the hardware in case you lose some working on your car. Make sure that you get the 2WD or 4WD backing plate to match your hatch (the backing plates are different). Take some rust penetrant like PB blaster and a knife to scrape off the rear hub before trying to pull the backing plate; this is usually the hardest part of the job. Good luck with the conversion; you'll find it's pretty easy and will be a great improvement to your Hatch.

All right, I'm heading out to the junkyard in 45 minutes--anything in particular I need to pick up to replace or repair? Should I just work on doing a disc conversion?