Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.8l/2.2l??

First of all hello everyone I'm new.

I recently purchased a 1990 1.8l subaru loyale for a upcoming conversion. I have a few general questions about the engine.

1. is my 1.8 the same block as the newer 2.2l?

2. about how much horsepower/torque can I expect from the stock engine?

3. where is a good source for aftermaret part? can I get most everything at napa?

Thanks

Danny

no not the same engine about 95 100hp top n/a maybe 180 hp turbo if done right and

their is really no aftermarket for these barring this board and the maney companies that make lift kits\

however people on this board can come up with some insane ideas to up the hp

you really outta search bud, will answer tons of questions, but no, your 1.8 liter carb or SPFI motor doesnt share much with the 2.2 in newer subys. i have a EJ22 in my 1986' GL wagon. many people have done this conversion. but it is HARD, and very time consuming. if yousearch a little bit for "EJ22 conversion" you will find a lot of info. look for threads by subarino, it will get you started.

~Josh~

No the Loyale is a different engine than the 2.2 Loyale = EA82 (1.8 ltr) Legacy = EJ22 (2.2 ltr).

The whole design is different. 2.2 is a single timing belt engine non interference until 1996. The cooling passages are completely different from each other. 2.2 is MPFI, loyale is SPFI. I'll keep it simple. EVERYTHING is different.

your stock engine being SPFI is 90 hp. If it was MPFI which I doubt 100 hp. Turbo - 115 hp

The EJ22 is 135-140 hp

EJ22T (turbo) 160 hp

Napa works for most parts. You'll find different brands of stuff will work better. I used Napa for axles, brake pads/rotors, alternators, wheel bearings, suspension parts. Use OEM subaru o-rings, gaskets, seals PCV valve.

You could use napa for eveything, but it wont last as long