Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cv question

oka so i am %90 sure that my rear cv are toast the whole car jumps when it starts to move and it seems to be comming from the rear i got under it and their is a bit of movement in my left cv so what axles will fit on my 89 xt6 fulltime 4wd

edit also: will it hurt the car to run it in fwd?

you can theoretically run in FWD if the car has a manual transmission, and you engage the diff lock - this could potientially damage your tranny though as you have a center differential, but I don't know for sure - I would recommend driving gingerly at least - I think all EA82 or so rear axles will fit the XT6 rear end, but the XT6 axles are beefier - check for play in all the axles and rear driveshaft though before deciding that it is a rear end problem, sometimes it turns out to be something different

good luck

would definitely get the car jacked up and supported, then get underneath and check all the U-joints, etc, from front to rear.

Bad U-joints can cause the kind of "hop" you are experiencing - not fun when they give out completely either.

Had an old Chevy truck drop a U-joint at the front of the driveshaft once - shaft hit the ground and darn near threw me thru the windshield - was only doing about 15mph at the time.