Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15 mpgs

in my 84 4x4 wagon gl im getting 15 mpgs. and wont to get at 20mpg or so.

i have a weber carb 32/34 also i put a different disteriber on.

now what can i do with out loosing to much hp so if you have way to fix it let me know

dennis

i got 24 on the last tank is this considered good, average??

15mpg is WAYYY too low for any tranny - ususally there is no more than 3-4 mpg difference between auto and manual - I would recommend that you check to see that the Weber is jetted right for your car, that would cause it to run richly - also if the choke is sticking, or the timing is wayy off - I have a good friend that got ~24-28mpg in town on his '84 with the D/R 4-speed 4WD tranny (better mpg on highway) - it also had a weber carb

if you are running so rich you are getting 15mpg, you are actually losing power and a lot of it; peak hp output is obtained by a correct mixture (~14.7:1 air:fuel), not by putting in a ton of gas - you should notice a power, and fuel economy increase with proper adjustment

just out of curiousity, what disty did you use, and what did you set the engine timing to?

the jets in the weber are right ones. iv leaned it out so its not runing rich it dose not smoke and has power. i just checked my compertion and i had 175 psi give or take

i put a ea82 y pipe on it and then its a strat pipe rest of the back could that be part of it, also i dont have any DEQ crap on it so no egr vavle and stuff like that