Ultimate Subaru Message Board

located a 83-4 gl wagon.

tysn

i was just driving down a random street and found a gl wagon just sitting there with a for sale sign on it, the car looks good from the out side, the inside needs a little help, the guy said it had a rod knocking. the guy did look a little off his rocker. is there anything i should check before i go buy this, is a rod knocking a pretty major thing? the car has about 180k on it.

A rod knock could be a major thing...it depends on how much he wants for it :). EA81 engine blocks aren't hard to come by.

If I were you, I'd ask him to start it up...and then i'd remove a plug wire from the top of the distributor cap (with insulated pliars and make sure that you aren't grounding yourself to the car) and if the knock goes away, it is rod knock, if it doesn't...it's probably something simpler (Make sure you put the wire back in before removing the next).

Where in Oregon are you?

When EA81's have rod knocks you most likely won't be able to hear it at all unless the engine is under load. Mine gave a metallic knock when under load (acclerating) but nothing while at idle. One day it just blew - rod went out the top the of the block. Knock got real bad for about half a mile then it blew. I knew it had a little knock, but they don't really give much warning like a V engine does.

GD

Im in gold hill, half way between grants pass and medford, the car is located between medford and gold hill. did the ea 81 have the TOD by chance? lol the guy only wants 100 for the car.

TOD is most common with the hydraulic lifter cars. Came in 83 with the EA81 turbo engine. All the EA82's after that had hyd lifters.

when I bought my brat, the engine had a really nasty loud rod nock. After splitting the block, came to found that all the cam shaft bearings were gone, and the crank bearings were on their way out. One of the piston rods was so worn out on the bearings on the crank, that it literly had a quarter inch of play.