Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t surge on decceleration

Ross

When slowing down in gear, for some reason the engine surges as it goes between 1500-1400ish rpm. Feels like the throttle is being opened slightly, but its not! Seems to do it fairly consistantly. No ecs light. Idle switch is adjusted correctly.

Any ideas?

Maybe a sticky VAF sensor?

When slowing down in gear, for some reason the engine surges as it goes between 1500-1400ish rpm. Feels like the throttle is being opened slightly, but its not! Seems to do it fairly consistantly. No ecs light. Idle switch is adjusted correctly.

Any ideas?

Maybe a sticky VAF sensor?

I would play w/the dashpot adjustment.It slows throttle closure after all.

I would play w/the dashpot adjustment.It slows throttle closure after all.

Yes, but this happens even after decelerating from say 3500 rpm at closed throttle - feels totally normal except for a half second long surge as it goes through 1500rpm, then its fine again. I'll check it out though.

IAC valves can certainly cause strange problems on some cars, but the valve on the ea81t is a simple temperature controlled unit, and i don't think it could open/close quickly enough to cause this problem.

Hmm, just noticed another oddity - if its idling, and i pump the brake pedal, the engine will speed up by about 200rpm for a second or so.......If i hold the brake pedal down, the idle doesn't seem to change though. Leaking booster or something??

Hmm, just noticed another oddity - if its idling, and i pump the brake pedal, the engine will speed up by about 200rpm for a second or so.......If i hold the brake pedal down, the idle doesn't seem to change though. Leaking booster or something??

Every time you pump the pedal you are emptying the booster vacuum chamber into the manifold.This is unmetered air.Since RPMs increase you must be a liitle rich.Monitoring the O2 sensor output voltage could prove entertaining.