Ultimate Subaru Message Board

has any one use one of these

The orange one on the top

wheel berring for a 87 brat

the part number looks right.

and the unsealed ones show a carter pin.. what is that for.

I wheel be getting the "how to keep your subar alive book"

http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewire/baseline/quote.jsp?partner=drivewire&year=1987&product=K8000-21621&application=000168444

well here is the tech info on it and the home web page for it.

http://ntnamerica.com/products/datasheet.asp?CO_PARTNOSEARCHTYPE=EXACT&CO_PARTNO=6207lu&MANUFACTURER=NTN&CL_PARTNO=6207LU&BEARINGCATEGORY=RBSRD

http://ntnamerica.com

I am going to order 4 of them and give it a go to replace my front end.

61.20 free shipping.

You have to use the stock seals as well - shields are not seals. I always use bearings with on side shielded, if you have a little grease between the seal and the shield, anything that gets past the seals should stick there instead of getting in the bearing.

That book is useless for the front bearing job as it will tell you exactly what the FSM does - press them out with a bearing press. Don't have to do that, but it *is* the reccomended procedure. Just use a drift and work your way around the bearing outer race to drive them into the knuckle and you'll be fine. I've replaced them without even pulling the knuckle off the car. Don't forget the spacer between the bearings - got a little ahead of ourselves once and had to pull the bearing back out to put the spacer in.

GD

if you have access to a grinder, once you get the old bearings out you can grind the outside of one of the old ones until it fits easily in and out of the knuckle assy - then use it as an install tool for your new bearings - a LOT easier/quicker than a drift - just be sure you put a block of wood between the ground bearing and your hammer as a cushion putting the new bearings in the freezer after they have been packed, and about an hour before you install them will help too

if you have access to a grinder, once you get the old bearings out you can grind the outside of one of the old ones until it fits easily in and out of the knuckle assy - then use it as an install tool for your new bearings - a LOT easier/quicker than a drift - just be sure you put a block of wood between the ground bearing and your hammer as a cushion putting the new bearings in the freezer after they have been packed, and about an hour before you install them will help too

I've considered doing that too - just never got around to it. Could even weld a bit of a handle to it and make a proper tool!

GD