Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Justy with wiring problems

Hi, I've previously posted on the Historic forum, but I just got an '89 Justy with wiring problems. I don't know much history on it, other than it was supposedly running and then had an electrical problem. The previous owner tried to fix it but couldn't, so he left it in his garage and recently moved away. My dad got him to sign off the title and now we got a Justy. We did not get any keys with the car (he couldn't find them). So my first question is how many keys do I need? Ignition/door/gas flap? Or hopefully one key fits all. If I give the local dealer the VIN can he make a replacement key?

Another question--are there any on-line wiring diagrams that can help me put this thing back together and troubleshoot the wiring. The PO apparently thought his problem was in the dash area. The instrument cluster has been removed and the fuse panel was pulled down but still intact. Does anyone have a factory repair manual they would like to sell? I've looked on ebay, but could not find a factory manual. For wiring diagrams I've never had much luck with the Chiltons and Haynes manuals. That's about enough for now, any help will be gratefully received. Thanks,

Jack

Jack, you have an email. One key should fit all, but the lock code might not be in the dealer's computer; it's hit-or-miss. (The '89s should all still be there.) I just bought a complete set of Justy manuals and would be more than happy to send you a photocopy when they get here.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I just might take you up on the photo copies. Got lucky today, we found the key, then I went to the dealer and they let me photo copy a few pages of electrical schematics. This should help, but I might still need more from you later. Thanks,

Jack

I towed the car home today and started checking things out. Was able to crank the starter and turn the engine over, but nothing fired. Put a little gas in the carb, but still no fire. Pulled a plug wire and cranked the engine, no spark. Looked at the wiring schematic, it appears that either the distributor or the ignition timing unit is not functioning, or there is a loose connection in the circuit. I'm not quite sure yet how to tell which one of these is the problem unit. Right now the instrument cluster is still disconnected, but I don't think that should matter. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears. Thanks

Jack

So far I've found two problems, the ignition switch is bad (the engine barely turns over, but if I use a remote starter it turns over fine) and the power wire in the radio harness was shorted. The PO had put in an aftermarket radio, then when he removed it he bundled up all the wires and taped them together. The cheapest place out of 5 auto part stores to have the ignition switch is $58. I'll probably order one today. One concern I still have is I can't get any spark. Don't know if a new ignition switch will fix that or not. The wiring diagram pages I copied from the dealer where for an 88 Justy, I figured they would work fine for my 89, but I've since learned the distributor, coil, and computer, are all different, so the wire diagrams are not likely to be right. I sure wish there was something on-line to help track down voltages and wires to solve the no-spark problem. Of course I might get lucky and the ignition switch might fix it.

Good news! :banana: I got the Justy to start, then I drove it and it runs pretty well. The no-spark problem was due to the coil ingnition module, located right next to the coil on the firewall. I still have a problem cranking the engine over, a new ignition switch I installed had no effect. I have to start the Justy with a remote starter. My question is, does an 89 Justy have a starter relay? If not, then I suspect the problem is the solenoid contacts. How hard are they to replace? Do I need to pull the starter to do the job? Thanks for any help.

Jack

Using an ohm meter, I determined the Justy does not have a starter relay in the ignition circuit. It is a straight shot from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Then I cleaned the outer lug on the solenoid and now it starts fine turning the ignition key. The check engine light comes on most of the time, but she seems to run pretty well. Fun little car to drive!

Oh yea, she runs :burnout: , but she's not 100% road worthy yet. The headlights don't work, that should be an easy fix. The air filter is filthy, wiper blades rotted, no radio, but again all that is minor stuff. Oh yeh, the check engine light is usually on. Don't have it licensed yet, so haven't driven it enough to get a gas mileage reading. Up to now, my sole objective was to get it to run, now I will start doing the little things to finish it off. Don't know yet if I'll be keeping it, depends on if I get my old job back. I used to drive for the electric power company, had a route checking line equipment that put me on the road alot. It was fun doing all the driving, they paid me to use my own car. The Justy would be perfect for that cuz it is economical and has the 4x4 option, which I occasionally need. Anyway, we are finally getting some warmer weather, so I'll be able to work more on the car. If I have anymore questions I'll probably start a new thread. Thanks for the help Andrew.