Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help - After Market Radio Wiring. . .

Hi, everyone.

My problem is I just installed an aftermarket Radio. The First problem i have is that when i put my key to ACC it won't turn on, it will only turn on when it's on ON or START. Another problem is that all the stations I store erase everytime i turn off the car and come back to it. I need to specifically know about wiring for a 1987 Subaru GL-10 4WD Turbo Station Wagon. Please help. . .:confused:

The reason your losing your presets when the car is turned off is that your constant power (12v) is not hooked up right. In fact you might want to try flip flopping your the wire you think is ACC power and the one for 12V. Before you do this take a tester and test wires. Find the wire that is hot whether the car is turned off or on. This is your 12V. Then take the tester again and find the wire that is only hot when the ignition is on ACC or on. This is your ACC wire. Hope this helps some. I dont have an actual color code to tell you what wire is what.

The reason your losing your presets when the car is turned off is that your constant power (12v) is not hooked up right. In fact you might want to try flip flopping your the wire you think is ACC power and the one for 12V. Before you do this take a tester and test wires. Find the wire that is hot whether the car is turned off or on. This is your 12V. Then take the tester again and find the wire that is only hot when the ignition is on ACC or on. This is your ACC wire. Hope this helps some. I dont have an actual color code to tell you what wire is what.

Well, thanks for your help hatchsub. I have everything fixed and working, but the only thing that remains is the radio working at ACC, my mechanic told me since its an old car it doesn't have that feature or something along those lines. Maybe you guys at this board can help me with your expert wisdom and also whether or not you had these problems too. :-\

Well, thanks for your help hatchsub. I have everything fixed and working, but the only thing that remains is the radio working at ACC, my mechanic told me since its an old car it doesn't have that feature or something along those lines. Maybe you guys at this board can help me with your expert wisdom and also whether or not you had these problems too. :-\

Hmm i knew that the EA81 cars didnt have a constant 12V for presets because of the design of the radio but i thought for sure that your EA82 would have. All radios have ACC wires or else they would not work when you turn on the car. Only the radios that have clocks and electrical presets (as in the ones that you have to hold the button until the radio tells you its set as opposed to the ones where you pull the button out and push it back in) have 12v constants. All i can say is get out the tester and start finding the hot wires. good luck!

• 4 years later...

I simply ran my own constant wire to the battery and fused it. It is the wire your radio actually gets its power from anyway and If you compare the size of the factory wires to the one on your deck and add in the wiring from your car is very old to me it was a no brainer. BTW it is also a good idea to run your own ground. The ground should be equivelant (sp?) to the sum of your power or source wires for several reasons.

Mike