Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well....I don't like new Nokian WR's, now what!?

Hi all!

I had to get 4 new tires for my '97 GT Legacy. I hit a pothole, killed alloy rim, killed Hakka 1 that I had on it. I had to get a set of tires, tire guy's convinced me that these WR's are a good idea. A true 4 season tire. Won't have to get another set of summer tires. My summer tires that I had were in bad shape, an alignment problem, so I couldn't just put them on! Well I don't like them! They have a tendency to sort of wander. I really don't like the dry handling of these tires, it's dry most of the time. Below is a link to a review of these WR's, it descibes them well.

So, what is there out there in a 205/55/16 that'll do the job? Anyone have a sey of Good Year Triple tracks? I've been to TireRacks site, they seem to have a good review.

Any real world experiances out there?

Many thanks, SubeeTed

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

i've heard people have had good luck with geolanders... i persanally don't like 'all season' tires, i'd go w/ a full set of summer tires, and snows... For summer tires i have two set of Yokohama Avid Touring's :rolleyes: and fun Snows i have a set of Dunlop Graspic DS2's (They're awesome). I ALSO have a set of Cooper Lifeliner Classic II's which i'm not really a fan of, but they're my.... 'between Summer and Winter' Tires.. :brow:

yeah yeah.. i have way to many wheels, and way to many tires.. lol

i've heard people have had good luck with geolanders... i persanally don't like 'all season' tires, i'd go w/ a full set of summer tires, and snows... For summer tires i have two set of Yokohama Avid Touring's :rolleyes: and fun Snows i have a set of Dunlop Graspic DS2's (They're awesome). I ALSO have a set of Cooper Lifeliner Classic II's which i'm not really a fan of, but they're my.... 'between Summer and Winter' Tires.. :brow:

yeah yeah.. i have way to many wheels, and way to many tires.. lol

I've been fairly happy with the Yoko's Avid Tourings on my 96 OBW for year round driving. Inexpensive and wear well. In addition, I have Yokohama's H4S on the 05 XT OBW that replaced the original Bridgestone Potenza when the car was new. Have to tell you that both suck as far as snow traction and braking are concerned. At first I thought the H4S did well in the snow, but have since changed my view when driving in light snow conditions in the Twin Cities. The Potenza's were just bad to begin with their rapid wear. I like them both for summer driving (high speed rated btw), but using them in the snow leaves alot to be desired. The verdict is still out on how the H4S will wear overall.

Even though the H4S have some pretty aggressive tread pattern and depth, I've come to the conclusion that part of the problem is the wider footprint of these "performance tires" having more displacement (in ratio to the car's weight) to make them ride "above" the snow and to "snowplane". I think others, like Andyjo, have the right idea, get a second set of wheels (steel rim) and put true snow tires on them. I would also add, the narrower the tire's footprint, over the generally wider performance tire, the better.

Usually when someone gets new tires and complains of lack of directional stability, it's due to one of two things:

1. The tread is thick and/or there is still mold release compound on the tires so they're slick. Both go away within 500 miles or so.

2. You have wheel(s) out of alignment.

You can find a fair # of threads about the WR on subaruoutback.org and legacygt.com. They are overwhelmingly positive.

So if you drive 500 miles and get an alignment and still don't like the feeling, time to punt! I have RSI's and don't have the problem.

HI!

I had a 4 wheel alignment done when I got these WR's.

If you read the review from Canadian Driver. It describes these tires perfectly! They wander! In the dry, it's dry most of the time.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm

Thanks for the heads up on the other forms. GT, Outback, I've bookmarked them!

SubeeTed

Usually when someone gets new tires and complains of lack of directional stability, it's due to one of two things:

1. The tread is thick and/or there is still mold release compound on the tires so they're slick. Both go away within 500 miles or so.

2. You have wheel(s) out of alignment.

You can find a fair # of threads about the WR on subaruoutback.org and legacygt.com. They are overwhelmingly positive.

So if you drive 500 miles and get an alignment and still don't like the feeling, time to punt! I have RSI's and don't have the problem.