Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i own a 93 impreza fwd......my throwout bearing is only getting louder and when i talked to the previous owner he still insists that its a newer clutch...i bought the car at 130,000 miles....the hillholder is disconnected and im sure he didnt do it the right way of doing it if there is one...and when i first purchased the car i had to get used to the soft clutch....i see on these threads that some ppl complain about the stiff clutches but im the exact opposite...i was use to driving an older dakota...the distance from the clutch being engaged to disengaged was alot shorter then that on my impreza...maybe that has something to do with the hill holder being undone?? if u have any ideas lemme know....the clutch doesnt slip and it would feel like a waste to replace it if it still does the job....however if the soft clutch thing isnt normal than i would like to fix it....i hate having to release my foot like (what it feels like 4-6 inches) untill it engages

thanks,

sean

could the clutch just need to be adjusted properly? i've seen new clutches often need help shortly after installation. don't know if that could cause noise, but could cause the pedal issues. the cable could be stretched/bad too. badly adjusted cable is bad on the clutch as well and maybe is causing noise? don't know, but worth a look.

im only the second owner...however i think the last owner had a daughter who prolly didnt know how to drive 5-speed at first

so what do u suggest i do when if i replace it....just do the normal clutch kit or replace the cable and what else? i know the cable is prolly pretty shot the boot that is supposed to be where it sticks out in the engine comp. is torn basically doesnt do nothing but collect greese...might have allowed moisture to get in there and start to play its role

The Hill-Holder being disconnected is probably why the clutch feels light. The HH cable attaches directly to the clutch fork, so whenever you depress the clutch pedal, you move the clutch fork as well as open the HH valve. If it's disconnected, that's less force you have to use to depress the pedal.

Also, as John said, if the clutch cable is too tight, the TOB will be constantly touching the pressure plate, which will only wear it out faster, and if it's putting any significant amount of pressure on the plate, it will wear out the fingers on the plate faster too.

Well, the Impreza clutch is quite "progressive" which means it does have long travel, and 100% engagement comes high up the pedal travel.

But it does sound like your cable is too tight.

Try adjusting it. Two bolts on the end of the cable, a 12mm for actuall adjustment and a 10mm for locking it. Loosen them, back off the 10mm two full rotations, and then back off the 12mm until they lock together again.

Here's a photo - worth a thousand words apparently ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Setright/clutchfork.jpg

Adjustement is right in the center of the photo.

The pedal should not feel dead when it's on the floor, but spring back a little bit.