Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru RX Type RA?

So yesterday I went with two of my friends to meet up with this guy who sells subaru motors and parts in SF bay. Appears my friend was going to get a Typre RA block and other friend was going to get aaaa 98 Type RA engine i believe? Well went over and met the guy and was blown away. All i can say is he was there workin on his 95ish l converted to a type RA STI right hand drive car with full sti interior. Im sorry but i ve never been so close to one. JIC suspenion that made me hit the roof on the freeway, it was beautiful haha. He wanted to demonstrate how good a deal my friend was gettin on the same if not better engine that he had himself put into his impreza so took us for a spin, it was insane. $2500 for a RA longblock? IIIIII might be interested if i can save up enough during summer and pick up an engine from him, a Type RA if he can find one in a RX

:banana:........oooo that would be nice nice nice. He is going to open up a shop soon it appears. Heading off to Asia this week to get some more engines an all and then once hes back itll begin. From haing out with him for the whole day it appears hes really into helpin out with the swap an all, and for the price i think i might jus havta dip inta the savings haha. well see well see, but to have such power in the rx, i dont htink ill be able to do otherwise after yesterday. Ill keep everyone posted once i head over there more often...

In the early years there were two Type RAs, one was a WRX with a close ratio tranny and DCCD, the other was a WRX STi with the same tranny. The STi were go for 10 to 15 hp more up until 97, the both the WRX and the STi had 280hp if you believe the spec sheet. Something you need to know, up until two years ago there was a gentleman's agreement between all Japanese Auto makers that in Japan, no sports sedan would ever be rated at more the 280 hp, so just because the spec say that the WRX nad STi have the same hp after 97, don't believe it. So what makes a Type RA, pretty much the suspension and the tranny, and the lack of some comfort items, other then that it is that same as a STi (non-type). For a 98 Type RA (or version V engine) $2500 for a long block (just block and heads, no intake) seems about right. I know a guy who sells these things all the time, he gets $4500 for the front clip of a 98 Type RA, but I think the prices are going up.

yeah i know about the gentelman's agreement. The guy had the...older version RA in his car with the DCCD tranny in it, it was too cool to be true. I believe he was putting around 2** sumthin to the wheels, which would be fine by me. The longblock my friend got was the newer version with the ballbearing turbo and intercooler and all. 28k miles on it i believe but when they pulled the motor it appears the the previous owner over in asia had redone thee heads? so they have about 3k on em i think. He seems to find quite nice stuff, had sti gold brembo brake setup that he found which had racing pads already in them. Im looking forward to seeing what hell bring back in the next few weeks, I really want to see what an older gen car would be like wich such modifications. The question is.....what would be the best match up for a tranny? haha.

hah how funny, he has that bumper from the RA in his garage, I was taking a peek at it. Here is a pic of a ver 4 STI RA i think that he helped setup, with 22b front end. I am lookin forward to seeing all this in person :eek:

81899897_de4d51b7a2.jpg

Interesting, a sun roof was not an option for a Type RA. I don't even think it was an option on a WRX.

Interesting, a sun roof was not an option for a Type RA. I don't even think it was an option on a WRX.

That was on eBay a while back...was peiced together with V. 5 parts...V6 parts...V4 parts...

its really a WRX with STi goodies from across the GC8 years....

It was supposidly here in Atlanta, but was listed in Arizona for some reason.

That was on eBay a while back...was peiced together with V. 5 parts...V6 parts...V4 parts...

If it came from Arizona, it was done by Keith at GR8Wheels, and yes it would be a mix of many versions, but like I said, the Type RA never came with a sunroof, but the JDM WRX might have. I might forward the picture to Keith and see if he recognises it.

As for 'old gen' getting these conversion, there is one running around Western Washington that I had a small hand in getting running, it is an EA82 Turbo Wagon with a 96 STI engine (275hp), tranny and rear diff. It is my understanding that he plans to use it as his daily driver.

If it came from Arizona, it was done by Keith at GR8Wheels, and yes it would be a mix of many versions, but like I said, the Type RA never came with a sunroof, but the JDM WRX might have. I might forward the picture to Keith and see if he recognises it.

I am more than aware of that...

IIRC the GC8 RA's and R's came with roof scoops instead. Atleast the GDA and GDB RA's got roof scoops.

I love the part where you call your RX a Type R.

I'm going to have to research the seller's copmment about non-A/C RAs had scoops and A/C RAs had sunroofs. I believe a true RA didn't have A/C, but these are specialized cars, pretty much built to order in Japan, I guess anything would be possible if you were willing to pay for it.