Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Motor is locked in one direction only???

Okay, I have a bit of a puzzler.

My '88 wagon, the RustBucket, has been sitting around for about 6 months without running. I went to start it up and bomb around the fields a little with it, but when I turned the key, the engine wouldn't turn over. I thought, WTF? I grabbed my 1/2" breaker bar and tried to turn the engine over by hand. I was locked up solid! Even with a 6' pipe on the end of the bar, it wouldn't turn over. I ended up bending the breaker bar, and the engine still wouldn't turn over.

Just for kicks, I tried turning the engine backwards - and it worked perfectly! I turned the engine backwards for several revolutions with no problems at all. However, when I started turning it forwards again, it went a little bit and then locked up again.

I was planning on dropping this engine into the hornet this summer, along with a MT, and doing the SPFI conversion. Is this engine toasted or what? I can't figure out why it would spin freely in one direction and not the other.