Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well, i found a 91 lecagy turbo today, it has the ram air hood on it.

it has a broken steering wheel, a brocken seat belt, a brocken windsheild, and some body damage on the pass side, on the door sill, like someone bottomed it out.

it looks pretty clean minus the above listed problems, all can be fixed easily.

one problem is that it idles at like 3k??? what could cause this??? easy to fix? i am an experianced technician but while shopping i dont have any diagnostic tools...

the turbo works well..in fact really well, when i gassed it doing 25 in second gear it chirped all 4 tires on dry pavement!!!! my wife lauged and i grinned.

well long story short-i offered him 800.00 for it and bring it home thursday...what can i do for mods? power increases..common problems...where can i get skirts for the sides? problem areas???

any facts on the car would be apreciated-im new to subaru-ive been a toyota tech for 10 years..thanks guys

There is a lot of information here on this board regarding these questions, I'd suggest searching it out first then asking some more specific ones afterwards. I'd also suggest trying bbs.legacycentral.org - they have a lot of specific info on turbo legacies.

Good luck,

Chef

Probably the biggest bang for the bucks is to install a JDM WRX engine (not a JDM Legacy Turbo engine), there is very little wiring, one special harness for the coil on plug ignition and adding two wires to the ECU harness, replacing two wires and re-pinning one wire. Depending upon the engine, that would be almost a 50% increase in hourse power, cost about $2500 (WRX front clip). You couldn't give the EJ22T a 50% increase in power for that amount of money.

Probably the biggest bang for the bucks is to install a JDM WRX engine (not a JDM Legacy Turbo engine), there is very little wiring, one special harness for the coil on plug ignition and adding two wires to the ECU harness, replacing two wires and re-pinning one wire. Depending upon the engine, that would be almost a 50% increase in hourse power, cost about $2500 (WRX front clip). You couldn't give the EJ22T a 50% increase in power for that amount of money.

Ah but you'd be installing an inferior engine in her.

Ah but you'd be installing an inferior engine in her.
Inferior?? I have over 110,000 trouble free miles on my EJ20G, still pulls strong. My engine is a 96 model year, they built the EJ20G from 1989 to 1996, they only bulit the EJ22T from 1991 to 1994. If it was so superior, why did they only build it for 4 years. I think before you start calling something inferior, you'd better check it out first.

Inferior?? I have over 110,000 trouble free miles on my EJ20G, still pulls strong. My engine is a 96 model year, they built the EJ20G from 1989 to 1996, they only bulit the EJ22T from 1991 to 1994. If it was so superior, why did they only build it for 4 years. I think before you start calling something inferior, you'd better check it out first.

Ummm.. You on crack or something? Open heads vs closed, simply the most reliable engine subaru ever made for high horsepower applications. It was made for only 4 years because it was a little pricey. Maybe you better check it out first

EJ22T is a closed deck solid block, equal or better than the 2.0l

Any of the mods that boost power on the 2.0 will work on the 2.2.

The only difference is SOHC vs DOHC, both are 16valves.

Explain to me why less displacement on the same basic design engine would be a benefit?

I'm not dissing the 2.0, but why go for less when you already started with more? If any swap was being done, swap up to a turbo 2.5L

I'm with benebob on this one...yes, the 2.2 has legendary reliability. On the other hand I'm one of many people who have had head gasket issues with the 2.5 and would not recommend a turboed one until they've been on the market for at least 5-6 years. YES, I know the hg material is different--AGAIN. I want to see if they got it right this time.