Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior/console question

Before I post this to the WTB forum, I want to find out whether or not what I want actually exists from the factory:

-Were '87 and later RXes ever available with a brown interior? I need a brown hi-rise console and a brown shifter surround for a d/r full time 4wd--with the diff lock switch cutout--to complete my grey to brown interior swap on Tony's old RX wagon. Was this ever an option or do I have to find some plastic paint?

Thanks, Andrew

to break it down..

a brown(tan) high rise will be found in loyale with automatic seatbelts.

the sifter trim needs to be pieced together to make a brown "RX" style console.

you will need 1 brown d/r console/shifter trim, and 1 brown small square riser with diff lock swtich from a single range fulltime w/diflfock

Before I post this to the WTB forum, I want to find out whether or not what I want actually exists from the factory:

-Were '87 and later RXes ever available with a brown interior? I need a brown hi-rise console and a brown shifter surround for a d/r full time 4wd--with the diff lock switch cutout--to complete my grey to brown interior swap on Tony's old RX wagon. Was this ever an option or do I have to find some plastic paint?

Thanks, Andrew

Try shoe polish ??

Hmm. I think I'll just put in a standard brown d/r console and move the diff lock switch...I like the XT handbrake, though, nice touch. Thanks for your input.

Also, there was a red Loyale on eBay a few months ago with a tan interior, and Meeky Moose has a brown DL wagon with brown interior. So yes, they are out there.

What about keeping the single range shifter with the button on the top and wireing the diff lock to that button, you will get a clean install and still keep the James Bond button. All you have to do is drill a hole in the stick shift. I know it is not ideal just a thought

The brown interior was quite common on the mid 80's models... and I believe all red 85-86 DL's came with brown interiors unless otherwise ordered.

Andrew, what year was that Loyale? There's a billion of them running around this town, and in the junkyard as well, and I still have yet to see one with a brown interior.

I agree with SubaruSytles - I have just procured a tan hi-rise console from the US. I am going to get the paint matched and paint it blue.

I know your pain - I was trying to get similar parts. It's worse when you are in Australia. I have found someone good enough to send me the parts I require. In lieu, im sending HIM parts he can't get in the US.

Sorry for the HJ, but how did you mount the hirise? I know the rear is attached to the seatbelt brackets, did you make a seperate mount?
I swapped out my lower one for a hi-rise and just took the old bracket from the car I got the hi-rise from and it all just fell into place in the existing screws...didn't have to change anything.

The hi rise for the EA81 is different than the EA82. The EA82 hi rise only came from cars that have the auto seatbelts and the bracket is part of the seatbelt assembly. Which makes it a pain to install unless you fab a bracket for the console. But it looks like SS doesnt want to answer my question:-p

. But it looks like SS doesnt want to answer my question:-p

DOH! i skipped your post rob, anyway the front 2 bolts at the change tray line up, for the screw(s) inside of the compartment do indeed bolt to a bracket that is part of the lap belts for the autoblets, its eaiser to just make a bracket out metal strapping. also on the high rise ther is a lower piece that wraps around the back of it at the floor, i could get it to fit due to the pressence of my seat buckles

The Loyale I saw had a tan interior (as stated). It was a '94 red 5sp 4WD wagon.

I can't keep the pushbutton shifter because scrapdaddytatum already put a d/r tranny in the car.

On the other hand I did get a center console out of a '97 OBS that might be going in instead...we'll see what happens.

When I installed my high rise console in my RX I did it a little differently. Yes the screws in front do line up. I unbolted the seatbelt buckles and slid them through the slots for the automatic belts, bottom end first, then bolted them back down. If I remember right there is a bracket way down on the bottom that the low console screws into from the sides- I just drilled holes in the sides of the high rise console to correspond with them, and put in some long screws. Works like a charm.