Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires

Ritch

JESUS.. its not like every other post in the forums talks about it. best way to go is to see what fits, works for you and what looks good... and proper fit for oversize tires is best done on your own by trial and error. I have 6" lift and 31x10.50x15 rims. they rub really bad, but if I got the strength in my arm it wouldnt be too hard to make 35s fit. if you want to tear into fenders and floorboards and stuff enough you could fit any size tire you want on there.

JESUS.. its not like every other post in the forums talks about it. best way to go is to see what fits, works for you and what looks good... and proper fit for oversize tires is best done on your own by trial and error. I have 6" lift and 31x10.50x15 rims. they rub really bad, but if I got the strength in my arm it wouldnt be too hard to make 35s fit. if you want to tear into fenders and floorboards and stuff enough you could fit any size tire you want on there.

its not just fitting those tires though man, gearing isnt great without a t-case. 29's are pretty much max. with a 3 inch lift, just go with some 27's on some 14 inch pugs. or some 28's or something similar.

no, it's not in every single thread, but it's in about every third thread. and if sigs were enabled, it would be in virtually everyone's sigs.....but I'm not going to start ranting about that too....

the info's out there, it all depends on how much fender trimming you want to do.

I have a 3-4ish lift on my EA82 SPFI wagon and I have 15" rims with 29"s... wal-terrains as Rick has dubbed them... I think power wise it does fine, in fact its pretty quick... I had to do quite a bit of late night fender bashing to make it go though... :banana: Trimming? trimming is for people with small hammers!:eek:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Phil

Only lowered FWD 5-speed XT-6 evAR

1987 Lifted "outback" Wagon

84 lifted BRAT kinda for sale

Gen 1:32 "and on the end of the sixth day,

God created signatures. And God saw that it was good."

its not just fitting those tires though man, gearing isnt great without a t-case. 29's are pretty much max. with a 3 inch lift, just go with some 27's on some 14 inch pugs. or some 28's or something similar.

what I was trying to say is, you can make whatever tire and wheel combo you want work, it just depends on how much work you are willing to dond what you want.

as for gearing, i dont have a problem at all with 31s... I can still peel out, maintain 70mph on the highway easy, and I stopped in some really sick sticky soft deep gumbo mud last saturday and I didnt have a problem getting going(thick stuff I sunk about 6-8" deep into..)

i think its better to have an actual fiiting for the wheels or ask some professionals who knows more on wheels so you won't be worrying all about it. this is just to ensure that you installed the right one...

We are the professionals. There are not to many aftermarket wheels (Almost none) for Subaru's until you get into the 5 lug variety. It took alot of searching to find a car that matches our bolt pattern. We have been using Pug wheels, steel and alloy for almost 10yrs now and have had no problems on or offroad.

Your link to that web site doesnt even carry wheels for Subaru.

what I was trying to say is, you can make whatever tire and wheel combo you want work, it just depends on how much work you are willing to dond what you want.

as for gearing, i dont have a problem at all with 31s... I can still peel out, maintain 70mph on the highway easy, and I stopped in some really sick sticky soft deep gumbo mud last saturday and I didnt have a problem getting going(thick stuff I sunk about 6-8" deep into..)

actually, there is a limit to how big you can go, the firewall is only a few inches behind the back of the front fender. McBrat put 30's on a 3" lifted brat, but had to bash the heck out of his firewall. My black wagon's got 29's and a 3" lift, and the fenders have been trimmed almost completely off. and they still rub on the framerails (which you don't want to be trimming)

and mud doesn't mean anything for gearing, rev it up, and dump the clutch. get into some rack crawls, where you have to be more precise. you'll find yourself dragging the clutch everywhere.

We are the professionals. There are not to many aftermarket wheels (Almost none) for Subaru's until you get into the 5 lug variety. It took alot of searching to find a car that matches our bolt pattern. We have been using Pug wheels, steel and alloy for almost 10yrs now and have had no problems on or offroad.

Your link to that web site doesnt even carry wheels for Subaru.

can you say spam!! check out his 8 posts....they've all got a link to a vender of somesort in them...

actually, there is a limit to how big you can go, the firewall is only a few inches behind the back of the front fender. McBrat put 30's on a 3" lifted brat, but had to bash the heck out of his firewall. My black wagon's got 29's and a 3" lift, and the fenders have been trimmed almost completely off. and they still rub on the framerails (which you don't want to be trimming)

and mud doesn't mean anything for gearing, rev it up, and dump the clutch. get into some rack crawls, where you have to be more precise. you'll find yourself dragging the clutch everywhere.

I have 30x10.50 Super Swampers on my Hatch, no rubbing issues at all.

But I do have 8in of lift tho:D

With a 3" lift you will problably not want to go over 28. I have a 2" lift with the suspension max'd out (way too stiff) and I fitted 27's with only a half inch bashed in on my firewall. Fenders needed cuting too. easiest thing for you to do is get some pug wheels with the right stud pattern and some 27" tyres. You could have either road tires, A/T's or M/T's. What do you plan on using the rig for mostly? 50/50 (road/off) use A/T's, 25/75 use M/T's. And for road tires, why would you lift it? lol.

M/T's get a little hairy on the road. Cos there so hard compound they don't like to stick so much. they reliy more on the tread. And if its wet, you might won't to reconcider going out. Also you will ware the tread very fast if you go fast and get alot of understeer. I think the next set of tires I get will be A/T's.

just another little ute

http://www.offroadingsubarus.com

i have been running wal -terrains now for almost a year and am about 50/50.most jobsites i am on have some pretty rough stuff,but i am all onroad to get there.granted sometimes gravel and dirt roads.....but anyways i have not too many complaints about them.i will never buy them again and may sell them before they are done ,however i do appreciate them more and more.they are 225/70/14 and very little banging as apposed to some cars that i have seen

ya just gotta check it out