Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd-low range

after replacing my tires i decided to try the 4wd, it had never been used more then once by the original owner...

when i put it in 4 low the 4low light flashed, didn't stop flashing or stay on. when i accelerated it seemed very much like normal gear ratios. when when i was decelerating the 4low light went out completely...is this normal?

i haven't had time to ask my dad (mechanic at Subaru) any help would be appreciated

thanks

This happened when I first got my old subie wagon. It sounds like you are not quite getting it into gear. You are pulling the lever enough to set off the "lo" light, but not actually engaging the gear. this can be fixed by adjusting the linkage. My mechanic did it for me, but it is probably something that you can do yourself. If you are in low, you will know it. the car pulls a lot harder and the tach jumps up a lot quicker. Oh, in case you did not already know, you don't want to be on hard, dry pavement when you try out your low range.

yeah, the lights are a bit touchy. my dads 86 shows 4wd lo when in 4wd hi, and the same for when its in 4wd lo. its just some switches on the lever.

4wd lo is very noticible. its normally harder to push it into the further 4wd lo (past 4wd hi.) its because your changing ratio, not just engaging the rear wheels.

my site

http://www.offroadingsubarus.com

Yeah, I concur that the indicator light it out of sync with the lever. You should feel two separate clicks when pulling the lever up. A good test to see if you are in low range is to start from a stop in 2nd gear. It'll be really easy if its in low range. If not, it'll just about stall the engine.

also the low range gearing ratio on subarus is a lot lower, i think 1.8:1 on ea81 models to 1.2:1 on later subaru models... typical 4wd systems have a gear reduction around 2.5:1 up to 6:1(that I've seen stock)

Actually, they are something like this:

EA81: 1.46:1 (3.9 diff)

EA82: 1.52:1 (3.9 diff)

EA82T: 1.20:1 (3.7 diff)

turns out i wasn't pushing it far enough to engage the low range. by the way the transfer case has been used so little (7 times in 20 years (she actually recorded dates for her records) :confused: that the shifting in the trasfer case is seamless, absolutely seamless. sht i think i got a good deal on this car

why wont it snow:-\